Fixes: 20

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Well, Plusnet can't complain if their forums get spammed. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Yawn, what a completely underwhelming poll. Less than 100 members bothered to vote, hardly representative of the PN population. I imagine that the PN staff will be sleeping soundly in their beds tonight. Roll_eyes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may well have less than 100 votes but in the land of statistics that doesn't matter, these values are extrapolated out to cover all members, but the result still stays the same. So that still means that 78.8% of all Plusnet users do not want Public access fora, and the only way to change this outcome is to have another poll and encourage more members to vote and even then that does not guarantee a No vote.
alegeek
Grafter

The poll needs a third option, don't care Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

An alternative view is that most Plusnet customers haven't registered for the forums, so by implication aren't concerned by who has access to them. Being unconcerned might also apply to many who have registered.
The way forward surely has to be to get the new site launched and see how it goes.
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ alegeek - See the first post, as I 'd already thought of that.  Wink But I discounted it primarily due to the level of discontent that was being shown at the time I created the Poll.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Customers who haven't registered may not know about the new public forum so simply have no opinion, and those that have registered and not voted may not have been active on the site during the poll. The number of distinct users online across the poll's life time would be useful information, but this is all redundant, and as you say get it launched and see how it rolls.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: spraxyt
The way forward surely has to be to get the new site launched and see how it goes.

You mean throw caution to the wind and deal with the predictable consequences afterwards?  Guess they should just switch on now then?  Shocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The sensible approach would be to only allow new threads to be started by Plusnet customers.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that is a great idea, giving best of both worlds.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

not really as all that would happen is that non customers would attach their question to someone else's thread and cause more work for the moderators
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I suppose so, but in principle it's still a good idea, albeit a non starter as we know.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

in principle it is a rotten idea
the better way is to have a non customer board as we used to have http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html which you will see wasn't too popular
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well of course that is an opinion to which you are entitled, as I am. I also do not know what your preference is for the opening of the forum to the public, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you are in the Yes camp. If this is the case then your link and comment below vindicates the result of this poll. If it wasn't that popular it means there was no demand for it so why go down the same route again!
I also know there isn't going to be a change due to the way the new forum is implemented, but that still does not stop me or anyone else having and expressing their opinion on the 'value' or 'need' of making it open to the public for posting.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regardless of my opinion about opening it up to non customers can you explain why having non customers able to raise their questions or problems in other, possibly non related threads, is a good idea whereas giving them the ability to start their own thread isn't