cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,237
Thanks: 1,321
Fixes: 31
Registered: 16-10-2014

New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

I was going to put in a don't care option but that simply leads to confusion, I think this question needs to have a definitive Yes or No.
I have also 'hidden' the results until the poll expires, simply to prevent votes being cast based on a preferred outcome.
101 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 17,644
Thanks: 636
Fixes: 162
Registered: 05-04-2007

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Just as a bit of background:
Quote from: Liam

I understand your concerns around opening it up to non Plusnet customers, however, there's some context that needs to be considered:
1. We won't be communicating the removal of this feature so I wouldn't expect a massive influx
2. We've spoken to lots of Lithium customers - particularly other Telco's - and not one has reported non customers as causing issues so we can have some confidence with that
3. The long term plan is to reinstate the account link with Lithium but to make it better IE single sign on. Not confirmed yet but it's certainly part of the grand plan!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 292
Fixes: 4
Registered: 11-08-2007

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

I don't think that the existing forum board areas should be open to non-customers (for posting).
Therefore I vote 'NO'.
However I would support having a NEW 'non-customer' board added which was open to everyone.
So I'm not entirely against the idea, so long as access is restricted to specific boards.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 17,644
Thanks: 636
Fixes: 162
Registered: 05-04-2007

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

I appreciate the suggestions but this isn't feasible, locking the signup or specific boards to Plusnet customers isn't something we're able to do, especially at launch.
Other telco communities are open to all already and they don't see a large number of non-customer posts.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 77
Fixes: 1
Registered: 17-10-2007

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

For those who, like me,  previously unaware of the coming change, read the announcement here.
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 292
Fixes: 4
Registered: 11-08-2007

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Quote from: Chris
Other telco communities are open to all already and they don't see a large number of non-customer posts.

So there is little advantage in allowing non-customers to post !  Crazy
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,773
Thanks: 257
Fixes: 20
Registered: 16-02-2009

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

It's a bit chicken and egg, if you are thinking of moving then looking at the new isp's forum is a good move. If you can't access it, bad, but if it is open to all then Huh Open for viewing is fine.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 1,867
Thanks: 51
Fixes: 3
Registered: 25-09-2012

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Look at the BT forums  Undecided
They're open to non BT customers and seems to be a mess all over the shop  Lips are sealed
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,237
Thanks: 1,321
Fixes: 31
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Quote from: Chris
Just as a bit of background:
Quote from: Liam

I understand your concerns around opening it up to non Plusnet customers, however, there's some context that needs to be considered:
1. We won't be communicating the removal of this feature so I wouldn't expect a massive influx
2. We've spoken to lots of Lithium customers - particularly other Telco's - and not one has reported non customers as causing issues so we can have some confidence with that
3. The long term plan is to reinstate the account link with Lithium but to make it better IE single sign on. Not confirmed yet but it's certainly part of the grand plan!


1. If this feature is not being 'advertised' then it's pointless. But news travels fast on the internet.
2. Fair enough, we do not have the information you have, so only time will tell.
3. A single sign on, as useful as it is, can have serious repercussions if the data is compromised allowing direct access to account data held on Plusnet. You only need to think of TalkTalk.
Of course the question has to be asked of Plusnet, is this poll worth the HTML it's written in? That is, if the consensus of the vote is NO would Plusnet abide by the wishes of the users and make the new service private?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 17,644
Thanks: 636
Fixes: 162
Registered: 05-04-2007

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Quote
That is, if the consensus of the vote is NO would Plusnet abide by the wishes of the users and make the new service private?

Quote from: Chris
I appreciate the suggestions but this isn't feasible, locking the signup or specific boards to Plusnet customers isn't something we're able to do, especially at launch.

Unfortunately it's not something we're able to do.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
hooverman
Rising Star
Posts: 59
Thanks: 3
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-12-2012

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

I  voted NO the forum should be there to sort out issues that happen on Plusnet ,I dont think it would be fair to Plusnet users to clutter the forum with questions about PN service from those whos isp is elsewhere,  I think its fine to let others see whats on the forum but thats it
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,237
Thanks: 1,321
Fixes: 31
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Fair enough Chris thanks for the reply. Having said what you have I'll edit the poll to show the results albeit somewhat redundant.
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,661
Thanks: 763
Fixes: 1
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Quote from: Chris
Unfortunately it's not something we're able to do

I would guess this is all no more than a buck passing exercise.
As in we want a forum but let someone else run it.
Of course it's a no as there is no other sensible answer.
But it's already a done deal so the underlying answer from Plusnet is tough live with it.
This has happened on other sites I've been with and the result is never an improvement by any stretch of the imagination.
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 3,156
Thanks: 302
Fixes: 2
Registered: 31-07-2007

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Quote from: Mook
I was going to put in a don't care option but that simply leads to confusion, I think this question needs to have a definitive Yes or No.
I have also 'hidden' the results until the poll expires, simply to prevent votes being cast based on a preferred outcome.
Have you? Ihave XRay eyes then. Wink
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Posts: 1,894
Thanks: 3
Registered: 20-10-2012

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Quote
Question: Do you think Plusnet should make the new Community Site open to Non Plusnet Members(Voting closes: 26/02/2016, 11:09)

I voted 'Yes' to this question but then I find elsewhere that outsiders will be able to post!! That, I don't agree with.
Please change my vote to 'No'.
Geoff,
York.