cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Plusnet Community Open to All Vote

That's easy. It may well reduce the amount of spam, drivel, cross-post and trolling on the new site making the management of it easier and by your own evidence the probability of non-users posting in customer derived posts will be minimal. But should / when that arise and justifiable a moderator can then start a separate thread on it.
The biggest issue is as I see it is the fact that anyone can post on the new forum, and I will be very surprised if this opportunity isn't abused. I have even seen the comments section of Youtube with 'adverts' and links promising all manner of stuff. And these postings (comments) are there because there is no control over who can and cannot post.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Mook
That's easy. It may well reduce the amount of spam, drivel and cross-post on the new site making the management of it easier
We will have agree to disagree then as it certainly won't stop a poster sticking his post in multiple threads and hence cross posting as you describe it
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I agree, we should agree to disagree, but you do you make a valid point. With it being the end of the month we hopefully won't have too long till the new one is in place.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

But I discounted it primarily due to the level of discontent that was being shown at the time I created the Poll.

Umm, but you didn't know about any level of "discontent" before you created the poll  Tongue  And you don't how massive the "Don't Care" vote might have been, and it's really irrelevant.  Most customers will only be concerned with their post getting the relevant attention.
Allowing a members of the public to post in others'
threads but not create their own is just plain daft and will create problems for the mods. And just as daft as this comment
Quote from: Townman
Quote from: spraxyt
The way forward surely has to be to get the new site launched and see how it goes.

You mean throw caution to the wind and deal with the predictable consequences afterwards?  Guess they should just switch on now then?  Shocked

There is no "predictable consequences" and as you know testing continues before switch on.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The Guardian has a comments threads on most stories (moderated).
One article currently has 2,908 posts and counting...
Trident rally is Britain's biggest anti-nuclear march in a generation

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yup and the BIGest plonka is there Jeremy ::(
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@oldjim, if only there were a thanks / like here ... As you note history has shown that non-customer presence has been an issue in the past.
@AO, history informs us that that outcomes might well be predictable.  I'd rather the stable door be closed before the horse bolts.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Anotherone
But I discounted it primarily due to the level of discontent that was being shown at the time I created the Poll.

Umm, but you didn't know about any level of "discontent" before you created the poll  Tongue  And you don't how massive the "Don't Care" vote might have been, and it's really irrelevant.  Most customers will only be concerned with their post getting the relevant attention.

But I did know about the discontent which is why I created the Poll! (Look at the thread creation time -v- announcement)
As you say the 'Don't Care" vote is irrelevant but regardless I excluded that option from the poll in an attempt to get a definitive Yes or No option (prior to my knowing I was wasting my time) in the hope that Plusnet would change their minds. It may well be that the number of distinct users that viewed the open poll but didn't vote were the "Don't care" count, but we will never know.
But it's not long now till the new ones goes live so all we can do is look forward and wait for its arrival.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm waiting to see if it can cope with my user name.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
Regardless of my opinion about opening it up to non customers can you explain why having non customers able to raise their questions or problems in other, possibly non related threads, is a good idea whereas giving them the ability to start their own thread isn't

That's easy. It may well reduce the amount of spam, drivel, cross-post and trolling on the new site

About half the spam on the Thinkbroadband forums is as replies to existing topics. I think the spammers theory is that it is less likely to be spotted by the moderators.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I agree, we should agree to disagree, but you do you make a valid point. ...
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The last time I visited Vodafone's forum, it was full of spam ....... and that was coming from the "support" staff there  Grin Grin