Did you mean: 

High Speed Broadband link disappeared from Connection Settings

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: High Speed Broadband link disappeared from Connection Settings

Quote from: Chris
I don't think this icon will be reappearing. The information on there, whilst useful for some people shouldn't really need to be shown as the profile should (and it does update the vast majority of the time now) keep up to date with the IP profile which is the more relevant number when looking in to connection problems.

Hi Chris,
Agreed - in an ideal world - everything should work as intended.  The problem is we do not live in an ideal world, things do not work correctly all of the time.  Failures occur in BTOR, BTw and PlusNet systems.  I know that as a professional systems and support engineer you understand that, however whoever is making these silly decisions and providing you with equally silly responses is not helping anyone here.
If the functionality is hardly used, then its use cannot be an overhead, so why remove it?
If its use helps point to a speed / performance issue, then surely that is beneficial to all ... or is that just the point?  Visibility of mis-aligned (not yet caught up) PN Profiles causes a discernible work load for support agents?
[cynic_mode] If we remove end user visibility of the PN IP we can eliminate a known quantity of support calls relating to incorrect IP values, which given time should sort themselves out...[/cynic_mode]  Roll_eyes Lips_are_sealed
I suspect that is what motivated this change, someone who knows nothing about engineering and problem solving has decided that the removal of information which gives rise to the need to call support is the right way to fix the call volumes.  WRONG, the right way is to fix the call volume issues is to fix the cause of the profiles being out of synch and / or implement the changes which have been requested - to include the date the IP was last changed.
Has this non-engineer considered the downside of this change in that the forum members around here who help to share the support work load with CRT will no longer be able to help users help themselves / eliminate this known issue?
By the way - has the problem where late ADSL IP updates get applied to a line which has moved to FTTC been fixed yet?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

geoffa
Grafter

Townman is absolutely right. The only possible advantage to Plusnet in removing this link is the misguided view that it will reduce support calls.
Although still available, for now, the link to it should not be buried as it now is. If Plusnet really want to remove "links that are little used" there are many more appropriate targets to aim at on the support pages.
Please respond to CUSTOMER demand and reinstate it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's another reason why they would not want to show it. At present it is set very slightly lower than the BT IP Profile. If they starting setting it say 1% lower instead they'd hope that people would not notice (or at least wouldn't be able to prove it), but the savings to Plusnet in terms of the reduction in capacity needed would be significant.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Estragon
Rising Star

Ooooooo!
avatastic
Grafter

Welcome to the tinfoil hat brigade Jelv!  Grin Crazy
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Not that there is anything stopping Plusnet from setting your speed 1% lower while displaying to you a number that matches the BT profile. At lower ADSL2 speeds, you lose about 0.1 Mbps due to the Plusnet profile, and that's not including the rounding down of the profile.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: avatastic
Welcome to the tinfoil hat brigade Jelv!  Grin Crazy

Well it's a theory that has some logic behind it - I've not seen any other idea or reason that holds water!
avatastic
Grafter

There's the theory that it's responsible for a high proportion of support calls, and by hiding the information, the call volume will drop off.
And that can then be used to herald the success of closing the phone lines at night.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

On the other hand, if you have a speed problem and can't see the Current Line Speed, you phone up to check, so that increases the call volume - better open the phone lines at night again Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: avatastic
There's the theory that it's responsible for a high proportion of support calls, and by hiding the information, the call volume will drop off.

Plausible - because there is no explanation on the page that because of the TCP overheads etc that is not the actual speed you will see. They could have easily added some text to set expectations (and about the difference between b and B and that most software gives the speed in B).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you recall it was also suggested that a timestamp be added so it was obvious when it was last updated.  But do they ever do
anything sensible?
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I phoned plusnet support about this issue, and the person on the other end sounded a litle confused , said something about changes to the website, and to try a speedtest website.
Might be worth phoning plus net to raise this issue  with customer support if enough people complain it may be back.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not if they understand it as much as the one you spoke to did!
taras
Grafter

+1 for its link to be reinstated in the control panel. As i couldn't find it!!! With G.imp enabled on my line i have found that i'm maxing out 1mbytes and my line is synced at 14.3mbits...
Annoyed...
I hope PN doesn't go back to the bad days 2006/7 where they ended up loosing customers from non transparency ..
Estragon
Rising Star

If you found it taras, all well and good. If you didn't - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed