cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catastrophic disco-ordination

oxforduser

Catastrophic disco-ordination

I am paying the penalty of upgrading an existing Plusnet internet connection to broadband, and moving the phone from BT to Plusnet. On 24 July the order was confirmed by Plusnet. But no one told me that it would mean connecting the Broadband and then disconnecting it! So having placed the order on 23 July  (see Question 89029848, and note in passing that my phone number was not retained as requested), I have had no internet since 26 August, and will have no internet until 23 September at the earliest.
Why disconnect what has been recently connected??? When I placed the order I should have been told to expect to have no internet whatever for a month.
You should have transparency about the steps involved so that the customer is aware that ordering broadband means no broadband for weeks on end. Offering the broadband plus phone as a package is misleading as the transition involves having a BT outreach engineer twice - surely this makes no sense for Plusnet. and the inconvenience for myself as customer is appalling.
I regret the move to Plusnet phone, and the upgrade.
7 REPLIES 7
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Catastrophic disco-ordination

Hi oxforduser,
I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened. I've had a look into it and this was due to human error when your phone order was placed as this was the reason the FTTC service stopped.
You shouldn't have to expect to have no internet for a month which is why you never told this Sad
I'll do my best to see if we can get your FTTC service activated sooner than the 23rd September - this will mean cancelling the order that we currently have in place as this was placed with an engineer's visit to the premises, however, due to you having the equipment already installed from the visit on the 8th I can place the new order so that it doesn't send an engineer to your property and that the work is carried out externally at the cabinet.
I'll update Ticket: 90981064 as soon as I'm able to replace the order and I've sent it to our expedites team who will get this re-activated for you as soon as possible. Please view any updates on the ticket.
oxforduser

Thank you for your understanding and helpful reply.
I agree, given that the broadband is very recently installed and was running perfectly, I would not see what an engineer would have to do internally.
I had contacted Plusnet immediately the "sorry you are leaving Plusnet" notice was sent on 12 August -  "We're really sorry to hear you're leaving us but before your phone service moves there are some things you need to consider.

• When you leave Plusnet
There'll be a final bill of the charges you need to pay. These depend on how many services you have with us and will include charges up to and including the date you leave, on top of your line rental....."
At that point a reconnection could have been booked to coincide with the intended disconnection.
Leaving us for a month without any internet connection simply makes life difficult. You say it is "human error" -  I have actually been getting mixed messages from Plusnet as just before my first posting, I had rung Plusnet when I was told that all was correct and that the wait of another three weeks could not be expedited.
I really hope it can... it so odd to have had a satisfactorily working connection disconnected.
I will be grateful for the reconnection.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not a problem, oxforduser.
I'm really sorry for the confusion caused! I can see that this is now in hand with our expedites team and they've requested this with BT Openreach. They should be getting back to you tomorrow with the outcome. I'm on holiday as of the end of today, however, if you have any questions about this my colleagues will be around to reply to you.
Fingers crossed for a quick re-activation!
sjptd
Grafter

A 'disco-ordination' sounds like a service to welcome a new evangelical happy-clappy priest to his or her church.
oxforduser

yes, "disco-ordination" does look spiritually cheering.
Unfortunately the situation remains less than cheering in that the broadband is disconnected. Thanks to Plusnet recognising the situation, the re-connection time has been brought forward several days so that it is due for Monday 15 September. That means three weeks rather than a month without the internet!
I cannot think how one ever got by without constant internet in the old days - but not only is there the expense and time of trapsing down to where one get get intermittently online - Pret a Manger, Starbucks etc, there are a couple of internet subscriptions that are useless for the down  period.
It has also been explained to me that the disconnection was nothing to do with changing to Plusnet from BT for the phone service - that instead it arose from a random intervention by another provider. Well that could be the case. But the broadband disconnection did coincide with the switchover  date from BT to Plusnet.  Whatever the cause, having promptly informed Plusnet about the impending disconnection, it should have been stopped before it happened.

oxforduser

Finally reconnected - it was on the pre-ordained day so that is something positive.
So while I am genuinely pleased, I remain dismayed: that the broadband was disconnected for no apparent reason, that Plusnet did nothing to stop the disconnection although I rang in a couple of times to alert them to the problem, and then that it took three weeks to reconnect the broadband.
So there are some  minuses here. It took several calls until a Plusnet staff member grasped what was amiss, and then made valiant efforts to get things back on the rails.
So the moral is if that if you receive a disconnect notice for no apparent reason, press Plusnet to take rapid action...otherwise you will have no internet connection for a month or so.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi oxforduser,
I'm glad to hear that you're back online again. I'll get the downtime refund sorted for you now.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll make sure everything is taken into account as it was a significant amount of time to be without a connection.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet