cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘Tis the season for Christmas lights and dropped connections

Christmas lightsIt’s nearly Christmas and time for the annual broadband health warning. When putting up the tree this year, don’t forget that some Christmas tree lights (especially some flashing ones) can cause intermittent connection faults.  So, if you think you’ve got a broadband fault please remember to turn your lights off for a while and see if that cures the problem before calling. Some tree lights generate RF interference which can affect broadband ADSL. It’s best to keep your Christmas tree lights and wiring well away from your telephone cables. Some people have suggested that one way of detecting interference is to tune an analogue radio to Medium Wave 612 through to 693, which should buzz when you wave the radio near problematical tree lights.  We’ve not tried this though and you may have more than one source (RF band) of interference. We've not yet heard from customers having ‘tree lights’ trouble but if you know of someone with dropping connections this Christmas do pass the word about this not uncommon problem.

0 Thanks
8 Comments
8 Comments
david17
Not applicable
happy Christmas and may the God of peace upon yr Group.
Not applicable
[...] in the next week.  Whilst on that topic, if your broadband starts to drop at this time of year, it might be your lights, it sounds a bit silly silly but it’s [...]
ISLANDOFVERACIT
Not applicable
you are a dreadful company... I ORDERED A TEL AND B/BAND - WAS PROMISED TO HAVE THIS IN 9 WORKING DAYS AND ITSGOING TO TAKE YOU A MONTH TO INSTALL A TEL LINE... DISGUSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND YOU TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@ISLANDOFVERACITY, ever so sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met :( I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for the delayed lead time, however I'd be happy to take a look at your account for you if you can provide us with your username or a ticket reference?
Myst
Grafter
lol something else to avert the problem on to the user
christopher1
Not applicable
i cant wait for virgin net to install cable down our street so i can have 20meg bandwidth, instead of my 2meg dreadfully slow line.
Chris
Legend
@Myst We're not trying to avert the problem anywhere, it's an observation from working with faults for a number of years that these type of lights *can* cause problems.
Richard_Lucas
Not applicable
Maybe BT have got Christmas lights in their Burgess Hill exchange, because we've lost our connection beyond there since yesterday. Any chance someone could poke them, preferably with a cattle prod as the better half is at home with a very bored child....