cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk shamelessly copies PlusNet

I happened to be looking at several competitor websites today and noticed something rather amusing on the TalkTalk website. Have you spotted it it yet? Now they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, so I guess we should be delighted that Mr Dunstone has finally recognised PlusNet as the broadband market leader 🙂 In June last year we launched PlusNet in Polish, including Polish speaking customer support agents, a Polish forum and our website translated into Polish. Today I've noticed that he's blatantly copied our idea and plonked a Polish flag on his homepage. I'm not sure when they did this so I may be a little out of date, but I didn't spot it last time I looked at their site. I notice that his blog has disappeared too. However, he hasn't really done a proper job. Try phoning and asking for support in Polish. Send them an email in Polish. You don't get a very satisfactory answer from the times we've tried.

I called the sales number: 0800 049 7802 and spoke in a very broken English so that they don't try to sign me up in English. Conversation #1: First guy I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about, in fact he asked if I was asking for Police support or Polish support. He told me that they don't have a Polish website and as far as he knows there are no Polish support people in the company. He gave me the customer service number - 0870 049 0498. Conversation #2: Called the customer service number. Waited for 10 minutes, then hung up. In the end if I was a customer wanting to sign up I wouldn't wait on hold for 10 minutes to do it. Conversation #3: I called the sales number again, spoke to a different sales guy. This guy put me on hold to inquire if they have a Polish support agent, department or anything that resembles anything to do with Poland. He came back and told me there was no one in the call centre who spoke Polish. He told me that he doesn't think they have a Polish site, to which I replied that they did. Hence he put me on hold again and went to ask a manager. Supposedly manager told him there is no Polish support in the UK.

Also while TalkTalk has translated their front page and their product page into Polish, as soon as you click on 'signup' it launches the English language signup. Doh! My advice to Mr Dunstone is this; If you are going to copy us, try and improve on the original implementation, don't just do a half-arsed version of it. Oh, and while you're at it, make sure you get our pricing right on your comparison tool - PlusNet Home Phone is now just £9.99 per month.

0 Thanks
7 Comments
7 Comments
melise
Spot on as per!
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Great blog Neil! Not particularly nice for their CS guys to have been kept in the dark!
nolan1
Just browsing
Nice detective work! How many more enquiries from eastern Europe will their CS get? Does make you realise how poor they are in comparison seeing this - I know of people with TalkTalk and even sorted out the setting up of their connection after getting nowhere with TalkTalk support and being where I am gives me a great sense of satisfaction! :D Keep up the good work - undermining empty promises etc...
stephen_Fell
Not applicable
TalkTalk is an innovative and dynamic company, which believes in giving customers great value for money home phone and broadband services. As the peoples home phone company, we are keen to explore how we can help Polish customers benefit from our great value call plans, some of which come with inclusive calls to Poland and are offered with Free broadband. To clarify, our Polish pages are in trial and if we find that this functionality is popular we may roll it out across the site. Thanks for the feedback, its always useful to know what the competition thinks about the great services we offer. With regards to the experience received from our customer service department. We would be more than happy to listen to your calls to help us identify any possible training requirements to drive improvements. If you would like to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact me via the email address provided or at our Members forum www.talktalkmembers.com Thank you Stephen Fell
Neil_A1
Not applicable
Hi Stephen, I'm delighted you took the time to respond, thanking us for our feedback. Your legal department weren't quite so happy with the feedback and have sent us a rather wordy take-down notice. More about that on Monday... You said: "We would be more than happy to listen to your calls to help us identify any possible training requirements to drive improvements." If you'd like to visit PlusNet and listen to how we do award-winning customer service, we'd be more than happy to provide you with some training for a reasonable fee. Cheers. Neil.
A_
Not applicable
Ha ha Stephen I work in carphonewarehouse customer/repairs/tracking/1-million departments rolled in to 1 support and looks like plusnet have just shot you down. BANG BANG. Trust dont buy owt from the cpw or talk talk unles you have a solicitor present. nice work plusnet
Guy_Mayhew
Not applicable
I personally think it's positive that companies collaborate and share ideas. I'm sure Plus Net has borrowed idea's from other companies in the past, I'm sure that the 21CN that PlusNet will be using (being developed by BT 4-5 years after TalkTalk's 21CN) will borrow ideas that TalkTalk already implement. This whole page seems a bit tit-for-tat...