cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

djrob
Dabbler

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

After struggling with the Plusnet hub I purchased a BT Business Hub 6 from eBay (brand new sealed) and couldn’t be more pleased with the results. Has been working flawlessly since Thursday. As well as improved wi-fi strength my speeds have increased. Download Plusnet hub 60mb / BT hub 70mb. Upload Plusnet 16-17mb / BT 18-19mb. fingers crossed the stability continues.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Interesting,

My BT Smart Hub2 updated on the 4th October to firmware v0.15.00.06145-BT

Apparently one has to use the My BT app  on your phone now, to  use the  Router access control.

Wonder if they will do the same for the BT Smart Hub

I don't use the access control but possibly a few on plusnet using the hub may.

You need a BT account to access the  My bt app on the phone.

Could be a glitch or could be deliberately done.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@LifeonMars 

It's interesting that this article says that access control  "can also" be controlled from the app, not "must be" https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/broadband-isp-bt-launches-free-wi-fi-controls-on-smart...

I guess that we shall have to wait and see whether they also apply it to the Smarthub 1, as I suppose we should now call it.

Like you I don't use it anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Witter
Grafter

Went live yesterday and the Plusnet router is horrible,the WiFi signal is weak and the WiFi has disconnected about 20 times already,is the smarthub 6 more stable and does it improve the WiFi around the house?
djrob
Dabbler

The Smart Hub is better in every way.

Witter
Grafter

Just looked on amazon because I want next day delivery and they all say locked to BT,does this matter?
Witter
Grafter

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Witter 

Yes I am using an 088315. Ignore the locked to BT bit just follow the instructions in post 1 of this topic taking particular care when you plus the DSL cable in. If you plug it in before instructed it will not pick up your Plusnet credentials 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Witter
Grafter

Thanks I just ordered it
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

As far as I am aware a Smarthub is not locked to BT but will only work with BT group ISPs and Plusnet is one of those. There are many threads on these forums where Plusnet customers are successfully using Smarthubs on their Plusnet accounts.

But be aware that there are two versions of the Smarthub (as well as business and home versions of each) - one is for FTTC and the other for FTTP. The latter are distinguishable by having one of the ethernet ports "converted" to work as the incoming FTTP port i.e they have only three yellow(?) ethernet ports and the fourth is coloured red(?). Perhaps another forum member can confirm.

OOPs - post overtaken by events!

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

As far as I aware the BT Smart hubs will not work with ee. (Which is a BT company) . They only work with BT and plusnet.

The BT Smart Hubs all should work with FTTC and ADSL however you will need  one that has a RED  ethernet port or marked RED for FTTP.

set up Post 1 here by Baldrick1

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

also see set up post 41 here  by me (but only plug the DSL cable into your phone socket, after entering your username@plusdsl.net and password details and saved)

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705 

Witter
Grafter

I tried to set up the hub 6 but when I click on broadband there is no option to edit username
Witter
Grafter

Also do you have to factory rest the hub if it’s brand new?
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

No not if brand new no need to reset

Delete the bthomehub@btinternet.com and replace with yourusername@plusdsl.net enter plusnet password and plug in dsl cable and connect

Do not have any odd characters in your password such as £$%^&*( . etc

see photos on this link

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

Witter
Grafter

This is what I get,I did manage to get to the edit username part but because I took so long it made me put the admin password in again and went back to this and I don’t know how I did it