Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

@typonaut wrote:

Does anyone know whether the Home Hub 6 can be configured as a WAP - ie just to access an existing network, rather than to manage the internet connection?

Thanks

Yes, i have one working as a WAP. I will post full information tomorrow.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@typonaut wrote:

Can you turn off the public wifi mode? Is this perhaps a stealth way of BT spreading its open wifi network?

Yes

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@typonaut

I have added the necessary information here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Configuring-a-BT-SmartHub-6A-as-an-Etherner-Switch-Rou...

Moderator and Customer

shadamehr
Hooked

Forgive what may be a silly question, but I have a friend (who lives in remote Durness, so I am unable to visit to check for myself for some time), who states that with his new BT Smart Hub, he cannot separate out the two different radio frequencies in a manner that allows him to have two different SSID's.

He can split the 2.4 and 5GHz, but they must have the same name.

As all of my families many many many devices look for "MySSIDname_2.4G" and "MySSIDname_5G" on my current network setup, can anyone confirm or deny, whether the new BT Smart Hub will both let you split out the two frequencies when used on Plusnet, and ALSO let you have a different SSID name for each...?

He says the interface doesn't allow it..?

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My Hub 6 (business) allows it. Look for change setting in wireless.

ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@shadamehr

The initial problem with the router is that BT has used the same SSID network name for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. This means that you've got no control over which network your device joins. As 802.11ac only runs the faster speeds over the 5GHz network (the 2.4GHz part runs at old 802.11n speeds), you're potentially limiting the speed that your devices can connect to the network. The answer is to split the networks and use 5GHz where speed and reliability are required, but use 2.4GHz where you need to go further from the router, as its range is better.

To make this change click on Advanced Settings, Wireless. Click the Separate bands switch and you'll be able to name your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks separately. The default setting just adds a '-5' to the 5GHz network's name, which should do for most people. Cleverly, the security password is the same for both networks and can only be changed for both. 

The BT Smart Hub 6 will run happily on Plusnet.

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
shadamehr
Hooked

Many thanks folks - that's what I was hoping to hear!

shadamehr
Hooked

Oh and ckcomputing - you've made me realise - it was the PASSWORDS he said he couldn't change, not the SSIDs - doh what a fool I am!

(He wanted different passwords as he runs a B&B, and was wanting to make one available for guests only - but based on what I've now heard from you lot, it has a dedicated Guest mode anyway).

So when mine arrives, I'll investigate, then advise him what to do!

Cheers all!

Baldrick1

@shadamehr

First of all, Public Wifi (Guest Mode I guess in BT speak) is a feature that is only available on the Business version of the Smarthub. More worryingly, if you look at the activation control it states that it could take up to 24 hours to activate, which makes me think that in order to get this to work BT need to either update the router firmware or do some tweeking at their end. Whether this will activate without the router being connected to a BT Business Account is something I would be interested in learning.

Has any-one tried it?

Moderator and Customer

Keith67
Grafter

Yes, I set Public Wifi (Guest Mode)  up for a while as I had people staying over, I have the Business Smarthub but don't have a business account. How long I will have Plusnet is another question as my road now has Virgin and I am being bombarded with letters telling me I can have 100mbps and TV for the same price as Plusnet and that is increasing in June..lets say I am tempted when my contract ends in Aug....Undecided

Baldrick1

Thanks @Keith67

By the way, I understand that once you get the price increase email you can cancel your contract within 30 days and jump ship without early termination charges providing that you tell Plusnet that you are leaving because of the price increase. You will of course be saddled with the £30 termination charge as you will be disconnecting your service from the BT Infrastructure when you move to Virgin.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Keith67 wrote:

Yes, I set Public Wifi (Guest Mode)  up for a while as I had people staying over, I have the Business Smarthub but don't have a business account.

So I switched my business hub public wifi on to see what happens. This morning it's blasting out a more powerful signal than my private connection and I can connect to it without using a password. However I cannot get a connection to the Internet so it is unusable. Before I delve deeper did you or the people you had staying actually use it? If so have you any idea where I am going wrong?

Moderator and Customer

Keith67
Grafter

I set mine to guest wi-fi not the BT Public one which requires a BT account or to pay a one off fee for the day,week, etc----the guest worked fine after I rebooted my computer, but I didn't get the full whack 60 plus mbps, I got around 13/14mbps which is fine for guests anyway to surf and check emails and the such. Nobody complained anyway, infact one said it was faster than they got at home, well they do live in the sticks.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My business hub updated to SG4B1B008146 on 24/4. Can't see anything different.

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@shadamehr  - I think you've successfully answered your own questions!

On the HH6 Business edition, you can deffo split the bands and turn on/off the guest log in option.

Hopefully you've sorted it all out by now.