Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

@Keith67

I have a business hub but do not have the option to turn public wifi off (see attached). I am hoping it comes when I get the firmware update that includes it.

Inked2018-02-06_LI.jpg

Keith67
Grafter

Hi,  When I installed mine it told me I had an update, could you do a factory reset and install again ?

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Don't really fancy that unless I have to so will give it a few days first to see if it downloads an update. 

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

updated overnight

now looks like @jordanc1230 post above with public wifi off button.

onlyme4
Dabbler

I'm really hoping someone can help me out here? I inadvertently bought a BT Hub 6 FTTP version (should have read this forum first)

The back of the router has one Ethernet port marked with a red WLAN and the installation instructions show it as needing to be connected into an openreach modem, rather than into the phone socket. There are no filters in the box. (see pics)

-Will this router still work like a FTTP version ? but with one less gigabit Ethernet ports?

- If yes to above then I've tried setting it up (I already use a HH5 / Plusnet so I'm familiar with setting up a BT router on plusnet) but I cannot get it to connect using my PN username / PW and turning off the smart connect wizard on the router

-Any help answering these questions and getting the thing to work would be greatly appreciated.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I'm hoping that it will. I have connected both Business and Home VDSL Smarthub versions and am keen for confirmation that the FTTP version will work as it still seems to have its VDSL modem installed. Ignore the red labelled WAN socket, it is not used in this set up.

1. Start with no connectors plugged into in the Hub.

2. Connect the Hub to a computer preferably using an Ethernet cable via one of the LAN sockets.

3. Reset the Hub by pushing a paperclip into the hole in the back and holding it in for 30 seconds.

4. Log in to the Hub (192.168.1.254).

5. Turn Off the BT Smart WiFi.

6. Go to the Advanced options. Select Broadband

7. Enter your Plusnet username and password.

8. With Ethernet lead connect  the Broadband socket to the BT socket using a filter.

9. Switch on and wait - it could take several minutes to sort itself out. Hopefully you will then get a blue light.

The most important thing is to make sure that you kick the factory reset off before anything so make sure that the switch is depressed for long enough, from memory the light does funny things then goes out.

If it does spring into life you will probably find is that it will update its firmware when you first connect the data lead, it might also update again overnight. As you say you will probably find that only three LAN ports work.

Please let me know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

My Message 41 on the post here may help

Just do not use the red stickered port

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

onlyme4
Dabbler

'baldrick1' I followed your instructions to the letter and it still won't connect. I probably didn't factory reset the hub 6 properly the first time I tried to connect it (before my first post), but did successfully factory reset it following 'lifeonmars' instructions / links. It didn't make any difference though.

I'm guessing either BT have made some kind of change to stop this FTTP version working as a FTTC version or it needs the openreach modem attached to it - as per the instructions on the inside of the original box it came in. 

It's all very strange because I have a BT Home Hub 5 (type B) connected currently and setup was faultless. I guess I can only blame myself for being so stupid as to buy an FTTP version of the Hub 6 without first checking.

Thanks for taking the time to post very much appreciated - and any more suggestion as to what to do next also appreciated, although I've probably worked out already that I need to bin-it or sell-it.

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@onlyme4 did you connect the cable from the telephone socket to the grey broadband/dsl port on the back? also what color was the light on the smart hub after you had set it all up?

onlyme4
Dabbler

'jordanc1230' yes I connected the cable from my phone socket / filter to the grey socket on the back of the Hub 6 marked 'broadband'. From memory I think the hub started off displaying a purple colour, then after factory resetting it, it turned green. Then after trying to set it up as instructed it turned orange (and didn't connect)

One thing I have noticed about this Hub is that on the front of the original box it's labeled as an "Ultrafast Smart Hub" . Whereas some (most) of the other models are labeled either "BT Smart Hub" or "BT Business Smart Hub". The item code for this hub is 084318. It also has "ultrafast" printed on the grey bar on the front of the router itself, underneath the BT logo.  I can post a pic if this helps to identify it. ? I can't find the hub listed on the web or BT's site. It came from the seller in it's original shrink wrap with his address label still attached so I'm fairly certain its genuine. 

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@onlyme4 Very confusing i wonder if the they call it Ultrafast Smart Hub on box for FTTP users. At first i thought it was the new gfast version that has been out for a couple of months but it isn't as that has a green telephone port on the back.

If the light was steady orange i think that means the vdsl connection has been made but you aren't connected to the internet. You can usually tell if it is making the vdsl connection by going into advanced settings and then technical log it will show the sync speed if a vdsl connection has been even if it says broadband not connected on status page. If it is making the vdsl connection then their might be a problem with your username or the password used i know you can't have complex characters.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

I notice that with the latest BT Ultrafast Hub X    that is comes with a telephone adapter in the box and a green port for G fast

see https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/01/uk-isp-bt-launch-new-smart-hub-x-router-g-fast-broadba...

Perhaps the one you have is a trial or earlier model  for G fast ?

Could there be any extra settings in the Advanced Settings ?

Looking at a similar device that poster onlyme4  is talking about,  that is on sale on the usual  to sell www sites, The set up shows having to connect to an open reach modem

The BT Ultrafast X smart Hub may well possibly then, not have a modem installed. That may be the reason it is branded differently as an Ultrafast Smart Hub to the usual (which works with plusnet)  BT Smart Hub.

onlyme4
Dabbler

"Jordanc1230" Thanks for the tip about the technical log. I'll try setting it up again later today and look at the technical log to see if it's connecting but doesn't like my username / password. I am using this UN/PW combination on my current BT Hub 5 and it connects straight away.

"LifeonMars" I'm going to give it one last try using the suggestions above and if that doesn't work I can only assume it doesn't have an inbuilt modem, or BT have disabled it in some way. 

I'm going to contact the seller to see if I can return it as he didn't list the item as an 'FTTP Version' just a 'BT Smart Hub 6". There were no pics of the rear of the box where it says "FFTP version" just the front of the box half obscured by an address label. I guess the blame is equally on my part as I could have asked him which version is was before buying it .

Thanks for your help and support, it's saved me a whole bunch of head scratching trying to get this to work !

ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

There appears to be a third version of the Smart Hub 6 which is labelled "Ultrafast" on the front!

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-for-bt-broadband-and-bt-infinity-...

https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/5215084/1516096319/redirect/1/filename/BT%20Ultrafast%...

If I wasn't confused before, I am now!!

Brian

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Yes, It looks like the new Ultrafast Smart hub may not have an internal modem and therefore will not work with plusnet as onlyme4 has unfortunately found out.