cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using Bitdefender VPN on my Plusnet TG582n router

achookang
Dabbler

Problems using Bitdefender VPN on my Plusnet TG582n router

Hi, I have recently started using Bitdefender Total Security on my Win 10 laptop and it includes a VPN. I can't get it to work as it always give a connection error. Following the troubleshooting advice from bitdefender (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/11311/) I found it works fine if I use a different connection (eg the hotspot generated from my phone) so I deduce it is something to do with either my Plusnet router or some settings in my plusnet account. If anyone can offer advice I would be grateful. I am a novice at networking so please explain in simple terms. Many thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Problems using Bitdefender VPN on my Plusnet TG582n router

fwiw, check whether Plusnet broadband firewall is enabled.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnets-broadband-firewall/ 

As the TG582n is from a time when man invented the wheel 😀 , have you considered replacing it with a newer model if router problem is suspected?   There hasn't been any firmware update for the TG582n for over 6+ years.

Plusnet can supply a new router, but they will want you to commit to a new 18+ month contract.  Alternatively, there are plenty of new/used BT and Plusnet routers on eBay for as little as a tenner delivered.  (eg. Plusnet Hub One, or later BT Smart Hub) You just need to put your plusnet username & password into the new router to get it to work on Plusnet.

Do you have upto 20mb normal broadband, or superfast upto 40mb or 80mb fibre broadband ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Also check you safeguard turned off.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
achookang
Dabbler

Thanks for reply. My firewall is off. I hadn't considered updating the router as it has performed fine in all other respects otherwise and the VPN thing is not essential to me more an annoyance that I can't easily use it. Also it's not guaranteed that buy a new (2nd hand) router would solve the problem. 

Also in repply to the other poster I also have SafeGuard off.

I think I have the up to 40 mb broadband. On a good day I get about 30-35, on an average day about 20.

achookang
Dabbler

Thanks, yes Safeguard is off (also the Broadband firewall is off).

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Given you appear to have superfast fibre broadband speeds, I presume there an Openreach VDSL modem made by Huawei or ECI connected to the TG582n?

If yes, and you have a Windows PC with ethernet, you could consider connecting the PC direct to the Openreach modem.  ie. bypass the TG582n for purposes of testing.

Old instructions for Windows XP...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Fibre-help-Setting-up-a-PPPoE-Dialler-for-windows-XP/ba-p/1322... 

This youtube video is for Windows 10 I randomly found

https://youtu.be/UZmll4O7i8U 

When you finish testing and reinstate the TG582n, you may need to 'undo' the changes made to the PC, for it to connect to the TG582n.

ps. the openreach and TG582n devices are likely to suffer failure from bad/leaking capacitors due to age. (Openreach Huawei HG612 modems known for this issue).

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @achookang,

Sorry you are having an issue with the VPN,  as you have turned off the firewall and safe guard, if the router has been updated the next step would be to contact the VPN provider for further help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
achookang
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have ethernet so I won't beable to test by by-passing the router. I note you comments about the age of the hardware and possiblity of failure. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Does Bitdefender give any specific error message or just a generic one?
Is port 443 UDP open?
What VPN protocol is Bitdefender using?
That's RPM to you!!