cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub Two, Plusnet Hub One or BT Smart Hub Type A - which is best?

Haribokart

Plusnet Hub Two, Plusnet Hub One or BT Smart Hub Type A - which is best?

I have somehow found myself with these three, the Hub Two is still sealed as I got given it when I moved into my new property where I have Fibre Extra. Frustratingly I can't have anything wired due to a dumb location of the phone line, so will have about ten devices on Wi-Fi all of which are 5GHz compatible. Don't care about being able to separate networks or not.

Which of the three devices would be the 'best' to use for reliability/speed?

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet Hub Two, Plusnet Hub One or BT Smart Hub Type A - which is best?

Personally, I'd opt for the Hub Two.

The pros of the BT Smarthub (assuming the residential version) are that you can split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels and you have all four LAN ports available.
Cons are that it will not be associated with your Plusnet account (so will not auto-configure), there is a slight chance that your PPP credentials will be reset in the event of a Wholesale network outage (requiring further manual intervention) and there may be a BT reboot policy that powercycles your hub periodically.

Some pros of the Hub Two are that it will autoconfigure, you can override DNS if you want to use third party DNS resolvers, you can allow ping response on the WAN interface (for ThinkBroadband monitors and the like) and you can put it in bridge mode should you ever need to.
Cons are that you cannot split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels and you lose the fourth LAN port (so have three in total, fourth LAN port is repurposed as a WAN port).

Wi-Fi capability wise, they are similarly specced and they both use a Broadcom SoC.

the Hub One has inferior Wi-Fi spec to both of the above devices and uses an Intel/Lantiq SoC.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Haribokart

Thank you for the detailed reply Bob! No big deal but is it possible to specifically assign devices to the 2.4GHz channel on the Hub Two?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

No, that's not available.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'