cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wireless Speeds, Service Unable To Stream.

B-man

Poor Wireless Speeds, Service Unable To Stream.

I have noticed from the beginning of this year my internet speed has decreased massively. Speeds when downloading and streaming using the computer the router is plugged into, is the same and seems to run at a decent speed.

My issue is using streaming devices which use the wireless signal. I am unable to stream anything on my tv, as it continues to state my signal is too weak, as does my roku streaming device. The actual router is in the same room as these devices so I am unsure why this. I also have issues viewing Facebook and social media on my phone, occasionally giving up and using the 4G connection.

I am using unlimited fibre broadband.

I checked the signal on the speedsmart app on my phone which showed

Download - 0.80mbps, upload- 2.09, ping 27.

I recently upgraded the router to PlusNet Hub One and I am still getting the same results.

Please help..

6 REPLIES 6
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Poor Wireless Speeds, Service Unable To Stream.

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

For comparison purposes, what speeds do you see with your computer wired directly to the Hub One when you point a web browser to speedtest.net  or other speed testers?

If you have not already done so, can I suggest you split the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless, and rename the 5 GHz wireless network name.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Then force your wireless devices to connect to either 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi, and see if there is any improvement.

What type of property do you live in ?  You may be suffering from wifi interference caused by a neighbour, and may need to look at changing the wifi channel numbers being used by the hub later.

Has the hub been placed next to any electrical appliance which may be generating interference?

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/content/where-put-router-improve-wireless-signal/

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Moving to a PN Hub One router can't be classed as an upgrade; known to be poor performer wirelessly.
Split frequencies as suggested already, and use a programme to check wifi frequencies/channels already
in use in your locale; then select channels manually to the least used. I use the free prog inSSIDer.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi B-man, 

In relation to what's already been recommended I'd also take a look at the steps shown here: https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

Do keep us posted. 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
B-man

I've given the suggestions a week before replying. I have moved the router into the centre of the house and split channels. I am still getting more results. The odd thing when using the speedsmart app on my phone it shows my signal is poorer at night, than throughout the day.

Last night my download speed was showing 0.14 mbps which has made it virtually impossible to stream anything. I done a speed check on computer and it shows download speed as it should be. I just cannot seem to use wireless at certain times. Is this a router issue, provider issue, should I consider buying an extender which seems weird because the streaming devices are more or less in the same room. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any problems, do you experience speed/streaming issues via a wired connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet