cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One router won't connect 5Ghz?

George1956
Hooked

Plusnet Hub One router won't connect 5Ghz?

Hi Folks,

I've owned the Plusnet Hub One router since last October, but I only decided to try to connect at 5Ghz today.

I click on 'enable 5Ghz connections' and nothing happens?

'Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 22/03/19'

Please advise.

15 REPLIES 15
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet Hub One router won't connect 5Ghz?

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @George1956

Thanks for getting in touch. The 5ghz connection on your router is active as default - the router is designed to switch between the two frequencies automatically. If you're trying to separate the two frequencies and create a specific connection for the 5ghz frequency, I'd recommend following the instructions on this thread here.

Best wishes

Dave

George1956
Hooked

Hi Dave,

Thanks for prompt response, my router is saying that 5ghz is disabled?

I can only see the active settings for 2.4 Ghz.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi George,

No problem at all - the 5ghz frequency will only show as disabled if it's been physically disabled by yourself, or, if you haven't split out the frequencies to begin with. Could you take a look at the thread I've linked and let me know at which point your router stops your progress?

Thanks

Dave

George1956
Hooked

Hi Dave,

Apologies for the late reply, Since acquiring the hub last October I have never touched the settings.

I wanted the 5Ghz enabling because I have a Panasonic set-top box, when it connected to the hub it gave a message to say that connecting at 5Ghz would improve performance.

I tried again this morning to connect at 5Ghz, all I see is ' 

The 5 GHz wireless network is not enabled.
To allow devices to connect wirelessly to your Plusnet Hub on the 5 GHz band you will need to re-enable this network.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi George, no problem at all - thanks for providing that additional information.

The guide I've provided on the link further up this thread will allow you to enable/disable the 5ghz option on your router.

Could you please run through that guide and let me know if/when you hit an obstacle? Once you've logged into the router's menu, enabling the 5ghz strand (by splitting out the frequencies as per the guide) should be straightforward.

Best wishes

Dave

George1956
Hooked

Thanks again Dave,

Sadly, no joy.

I did the following as stated in one of the posts..'

Point web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Tap on Wireless.
Choose 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
Save the changes.'

I even disabled 2.4Ghz to try and get 5Ghz to work, no luck. 2.4 re-enabled now.

Is it possible I have a dud hub?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

When you look at the 5GHz settings are they set to a differnt SSID to the 2.4 GHz to the 2,4 GHz one? If not, add -5 to the SSID as per the instructions previously given.

Assuming this is the case are you searching for the 5GHz SSID on your device wireless settings?

Another thing to do is use a wifi sniffer app. I use WiFi Analyser on a dual band Android phone. With this you can 'see' the transmissions on both bands by selecting which band you wish you want to monitor. With this you can check whether the router is transmitting on the 5GHz band.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @George1956  in addition to what @Baldrick1 has mentioned above. Is the 5Ghz showing as active within the router admin page?

George1956
Hooked

Hi Guys,

The hub 5ghz setting is not enabled and I cannot set it in the advanced hub section, this is why I am wondering if the hub is faulty?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @George1956 I had a feeling that's what you were describing.

Before we go down the faulty router avenue, what device are you using to change the admin details? some wireless devices; phones, tables etc, don't process form data in the same way and have issues amending settings.

Maybe try on a wired device or at least something with a dedicated web browser like a PC/Laptop.

And finally, try doing a factory reset on the router and see if that works? Let us know if not.

George1956
Hooked

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for your help and advice. I ended up talking to tech support, they seem to think (as I do) that I have a faulty hub.

I should have the replacement by the middle of next week, I will update this post with the outcome.

Thanks again Guys. Wink

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Awe it is our pleasure to help @George1956.

Please do let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
George1956
Hooked

Hi Guys,

New hub arrived this morning and i've got my 5Ghz connection, i've split it from the 2.4Ghz connection and all seems well so far.

So it was a dud hub causing the problem.

Again, many thanks to all you guys offering help and advice, you are a bunch of stars!Smiley