cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental control device (Circle) with Plusnet Router or alternative

Lighthouse
Dabbler

Parental control device (Circle) with Plusnet Router or alternative

Hi, I'm looking at installing a Circle Parental Control device on our network at home.
like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circle-Disney-Parental-Controls-Wireless/dp/B019RC1EI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

Circle website has a list of compatible routers and, of course Plusnet Hub Zero (aka Sagemcom 2704N, I believe) does not appear on the list. However, Circle also say they believe their product should work with most routers.

Has anyone successfully installed and used the Circle product with a Hub Zero.

The other option is to buy a Netgear R7000p router which already has the Circle controls enabled.

Has anyone successfully installed this router or similar with Plusnet.

Thanks in advance for advice and assistance

J

2 REPLIES 2
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Parental control device (Circle) with Plusnet Router or alternative

@Lighthouse

Assuming you connect by an Ethernet connection (which one of the reviews mentions) then I see no reason why it won't work.

Read the review "Limited limitations..." (not mine !) which seems excellent although they did get it free....

There are other methods of achieving much the same but this seems very easy to set up and manage (on a "per user" basis).

Do remember to change your Plusnet router WiFi password !

Personally I would buy the thing and use it as long as is appropriate for your children, the Netgear seems to get you on a regular payment treadmill.

When my now just teenager was younger I used a "guest" network on a Draytek and OpenDNS to achieve some of the same objectives but not as easily

I still have OpenDNS quite heavily locked down as it provides some degree of protection, control and monitoring for everything in the house that connects to the Internet.

I am the satisfied customer....
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Parental control device (Circle) with Plusnet Router or alternative

@Lighthouse

Having spent the time between my last post and this one reading some of the reviews of free devices that the manufacturers sent out to fairly smart Amazon shoppers I've been having another think.

Personally I would want this device Ethernet connected and on a separate VLAN to the rest of the devices my house as it seems to try and intercept all Internet traffic rather than just the traffic connected via it's WiFi.

It isn't a fatal flaw and I can see why they have done it but I would want most devices I have not subjected to it.

There is a nice article on ARP spoofing on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_spoofing.

Perhaps you need the "Circle"  device and a router that supports port based VLANS (which won't come free from an ISP).

I am the satisfied customer....