Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the DNS server setting on a Hub One

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: How to change the DNS server setting on a Hub One

You're confusing the Hub One with the Hub Zero.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Jovin123
Grafter

Can it be done via telnet?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Telnet access isn't possible.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Jovin123
Grafter

Did things the wrong way round there as found shortly after posting that telnet isnt possible when I tried it out. Bit pants, I wanted to explore!

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Interlandi wrote:
There is an expert setting on the hub one that can be accessed however, tinkering around with that is at your own peril.
http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html.

Nope, doesn't work! 

404 Not Found

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The expert user page is only applicable to the Hub Zero.
DocDelete
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@bobpullen second week of November nudge

DocDelete
Rising Star

bump @bobpullen

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@DocDelete, I'm told things should have been aligned correctly now, so hopefully if you have parental controls enabled, you're assigned the correct DNS addresses after a disconnect/reconnect? If not, try toggling off/back on again and giving it another go.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DocDelete
Rising Star

Thanks @bobpullen - just tried multiple disconnect/reconnects and on/offs with no luck. Will wait the mentioned 'up to 2 hours' on the Safeguard control page, then try disconnecting Hub One again. Will report.

DocDelete
Rising Star

Good morning @bobpullen - well, I think I've waited long enough. Everything has been toggled and my hub one is still not pointing at the Safeguard DNS settings. What can Plusnet do now?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for that, and sorry it's not had the desired effect ☹️

I'll refer it to the folk that were overseeing things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Alan3
Dabbler

Hi @DocDelete,

I just wanted to say, I have had exactly the same problem as you.  I am amazed that PlusNet advertise themselves as having Safeguard but are then unable to get it to work on their own equipment.  I am also impressed at how patient you have been with the Plusnet support.  So far I have had two internet chats, one telephone chat and now an open ticket - but absolutely nothing has been done to sort this out.  And it has wasted very large amounts of my time.  PlusNet support also told me that there are other customers with exactly the same issue.  I am very tempted to change provider to one that does actually provide the service that they say they do.  Have you have any further responses yourself from Plusnet?

@bobpullen?  In reality is there any chance at all of this getting sorted out?

Tags (1)
DocDelete
Rising Star

Hi @Alan3

It's rubbish, isn't it? I'm prepared to accept that no service is perfect, but when snags are acknowledged then not actioned - and the customer is expected to remind people to get things done like some sort of remote diary - I wonder what reality Plusnet exists in? One where customer service means very little, which is a shame as it used to mean so much to them.

Patience doesn't come into it - what you perceive as my patience is actually a fatalistic attitude gained after decades of dealing with awful outfits like Orange, T-Mobile, Carphone Warehouse and now Plusnet sadly.

It's interested you saying you have the same problem. I wonder how many people out there are actually using Safeguard and how many gave it up without question because it doesn't work?

(My last issue with Plusnet - having poor broadband speeds - was eventually pinned on being on a too-busy point within the network. At the time it seemed Plusnet had no way of polling local customers and cross-referencing to see if others were complaining; then taking one step back and looking at the group's problem instead of getting individuals jumping through repetitive and pointless exercises. Hard to believe in these days of 'big data'.)

Okay - Safeguard is advertised as being a feature available to subscribers. Would Ofcom take the view that Plusnet is in breach of contract by not fixing it? Probably worth raising the issue. Perhaps @bobpullen can shed light on this from not only the technical point of view, but also the viewpoint of Plusnet being unwilling or unable to fix it. Tolerance of a glitch is one thing; being expected to sit back and hope that Plusnet 'gets round to it' should be a position that Plusnet itself considers unnacceptable.

I have to say I'm only staying with Plusnet now out of being a cheapskate for the time being. A sad testimony to nearly 20 years of loyalty.

DocDelete
Rising Star

Thanks @Alan3

That link is dead - I'll definitely look it up if you have time to correct it (unless it's been pulled?)

It seems that nudging @bobpullen doesn't afford much help unless he can tell us who else to directly chase this with.

@bobpullen I'd appreciate a direct contact with the head of department responsible for this issue, if you're too bogged down to keep referring it. Thanks.