Re: How to change the DNS server setting on a Hub One

@DocDelete wrote:

OK. Have been onto support.

For anyone interested the solution (untried) is this:

Hub One has no manual DNS control.
Handshaking with Plusnet is not changing my DNS settings to the

So safeguard is broken!!!!

Problems -

1. Unless I restrict user permissions on each device the DNS settings can be reverted by a savvy user (child)

2. I cannot change the DNS settings on any visiting devices (other kids not from this house) without a lot of hassle

@well unless safeguard filters other dns then 1. still applies = savvy child sets 8.8.8.8, same point @ the OP using opendns. I don't know how safeguard works, but to be sure or if using opendns you would really need to make a firewall rule (if possible) to block other dns. Then someone will be round with a list of naughty ip addresses 🙂

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@Gewitty

It is a shame that the DNS servers can't be changed on the Hub One, but Amazon will sell you a box by TP link or others which will do everything you need for a few £10s. That can be plugged in to the Hub One.

I am the satisfied customer....
DocDelete
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks. Not a bad idea but it may be better idea to put the 'few £10s' towards a third-party router that allows DNS manipulation /and/ has a better wifi aerial Wink

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@DocDelete

I don't disagree with your approach but the cost of getting a new router (supporting VDSL) didn't seem to be what was wanted by the original post.

I am the satisfied customer....
DocDelete
Rising Star

No, you are correct. Slightly under par wifi range is a different topic. I just wish Safeguard worked as it should with Plusnet's own hardware.

grahamlstubbs

I know that this is an old post...but can I suggest a possible solution...

Use an alternative DHCP on a server/nas/old router to give detailed ip/gateway/dns settings.

Then disable the dhcp sever on the plusnet one hub.

works for me   Smiley

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I understand from posts by other Hub 1 users (I use my own router, so am unable to confirm) that if you change the DNS settings on the PC itself using this procedure, it will override the Plusnet DNS settings built into the Hub 1.

DocDelete
Rising Star

Yep, but as said before that way doesn't control multiple or guest devices on the home network - or does it?

Cowen1

I have the same problem. I use opendns for my dns servers on a previous router. It also seems you cannot use a static reservation range for static ips to stop them taking ips from your dhcp range

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The DHCP logic is probably sequential, so assigning static IPs from the top end of the range to devices you want to exclude should do the trick. That would need doing from the client, rather than the router though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PigeonPete
Dabbler

I was really surprised to discover I couldn't enter my DNS servers of choice.  Sad.

I'm also not interested in setting this manually on every device.  So thinking of turning off the DHCP server on the router, and adding a replacement - something like the Pi-Hole.

It's just a pain, having to have multiple gadgets, and likely having them on 24/7.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Pretty standard for consumer grade devices as changing settings incorrectly/inadvertently could lead to no internet access and an unnecessary support call.
PigeonPete
Dabbler

That's why you stick it under advanced settings.  There's plenty of things you could change to bork your internet connection.

DNS is a biggie regarding privacy.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

And putting it under 'advanced settings' prevents borking Crazy3

Seriously, what are you trying to achieve?

DocDelete
Rising Star

But folks, the main point is that Plusnet introduced their own safeguarding service which requires a DNS change, but their own hardware makes it next to impossible for the average end-user to employ.

And, even then, the suggested workaround of altering the DNS set-up on each client device also the demands that the administrator lock down the settings on each device to avoid tampering by kids - the average end-user is left out in the cold again. And how about pinning down the DNS on each visitor to your house, other kids for example?

The customer could buy different hardware but (a) why should they? And (b) this again leaves the average end-user a wee bit stumped.

Ill-considered from the outset.