Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue light on Hub One far too bright

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Blue light on Hub One far too bright

I'm finding the bright blue light on the front of the Hub One too bright, especially at night. I'm wondering whether to place something in front of it like a square coaster or sticking some cardboard in front of the light. Does anybody know if this would block out the signal from the router. I don't know where the antennae are located inside.

Annie
15 REPLIES 15
Denny
Dabbler

Re: Blue light on Hub One far too bright

You can change the brightness by logging into the router.

Go to

http://192.168.1.254

Click settings, pop the router password in then you should see where it says hub lights then change the brightness to low.

nikkas
Dabbler

and it'll still be too bright 😉

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Annie

A piece of cardboard won't affect the signal unless it is covered in aluminum foil. Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Annie
Rising Star

@Denny wrote:

You can change the brightness by logging into the router.

Go to

http://192.168.1.254

Click settings, pop the router password in then you should see where it says hub lights then change the brightness to low.

Already did this but I think that only relates to the error lights if and when they appear in the panel below the blue light

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@Annie

A piece of cardboard won't affect the signal unless it is covered in aluminum foil. Smiley

Thanks @SpendLessTime. Funny you should say that. The coaster I used last night had a tin-foil like appearance on the top and it occurred to me that this might not be a good idea! Tongue

Annie
anniesboy
Rising Star

Annie
Rising Star

@anniesboy wrote:

I have used these on a number things.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009WSJNCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I spotted these after I posted yesterday and ordered some. The ones I've ordered are the same original 50-80% strength. It'll be interesting to see whether this will be enough to keep out the worst of the glow and whether they will stick on the slightly raised blue light. I'm sure I will find other uses for them if not.

Annie
Dave5

We too have found it much too bright on its first night in our bedroom. We switched the hub off overnight, contrary to instructions. This morning our broadband speed is considerably faster -- not slower, as per warning. Will monitor in the coming days. Have applied the "dimming" process (see link elsewhere here) but not sure it'll be dim enough. Another possibility is to stick black insulating tape over most of the light.

Annie
Rising Star

In the end I got some masking tape and stuck some thick cardboard in front of the light leaving the bottom part unstuck in case I want to lift the cardboard to see the colour of the light (see photo). Doesn't look attractive but the router lives in my small bedroom/study so it doesn't bother me.

Annie
damole
Dabbler

Maybe one of the mods can suggest that future routers have options to lower the brightness on all LEDs or even turn them off unless there is an error.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There is an option to reduce the brightness on the Hub One.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There have been a number of suggestions in the past on the forum, my favourite being a piece of Blu-Tack.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
damole
Dabbler

Previous poster said they didnt't think it works for the main blue light.  I have already checked that setting and I didn't see any change.  I guess I will try it tonight when it's dark to be certain.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It does, maybe some dim more than others?