Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ending, upgrade option

gdp007
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Contract ending, upgrade option

Hello,

I might be missing something that is very obvious but perhaps someone could help?

Ive received an email to say that my current contract ends Towards the end of January 2022. One of the options in the email is to upgrade to Fibre broadband. There is a link in the email to take me to the webiste to do this.

However, when i am logged into my account the only option that I can see is retaining the current standard broadband package. Just below this there is some text about fibre upgrade but there doesnt appear to be any option on the webpage to do this.

So, what is it that I am missing? Can I not upgrade until the contract runs out? Despite being given the fibre upgrade option is it not available etc. etc.

I would be grateful for anyones reply who has gone through a simlar situation and can offer some clarification! Thanks.

33 REPLIES 33
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Contract ending, upgrade option

@gdp007 Welcome to the forums. An easy way to see your options is to check on here: BT Broadband . Please post a screenshot - ensuring your phone number is hidden/obscured.

John
gdp007
Grafter

thanks for your reply. Attached screenshot from BT Broadband.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@gdp007 

Far better to ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. There's rarely more than a few minutes delay before they answer and they can go through the options with you.

Don't forget to ask for a Hub 2.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@gdp007 That screenshot gives you the answer - there are no spare ports available - at the moment - in your local FTTC cabinet, so no room to connect you.

This situation can change on a daily basis, so my suggestion would be to keep checking the site, and as soon as the VDSL lines on the table read 'Available' place an order via the phone number provided by @Baldrick1 .

John
gdp007
Grafter

Thanks to @jab1 and @Baldrick1 for your replies. Very helpful. Thanks.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@gdp007 

Note that g.Fast is available but PlusNet don't offer it.

If wanted, I believe there is a chance you could move to BT (or EE if they offer it) without any early termination fees but you would need to confirm with the Options teams.

You appear to be on a very good line.

Brian

Edit - not certain if "Green" means "Available"

jab1
Legend

@bmc AIUI - the free transfer to BT/EE is for FTTP - not shown as available for the OP.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@jab1 

Which is why I said "a chance" - if you don't ask you don't get.

Brian

gdp007
Grafter

BT have got availability for my line with their Fibre service. Quite a price hike though as it is £32.99 for BB+line rental. Plus a £19.99 admin fee. I believe Plusnet requires 14 days notice if changing supplier. As my contract runs out January 22nd that would mean using an alternate supplier by about Jan 6th.

Other options seem to be take another contract with Plusnet on existing Broadband then as advised check availability then upgrade to Fibre.

I will have to have a look around and see if any other options are available.

jab1
Legend

@gdp007 That sounds slightly suspicious - if the service is shown as 'Waiting List' as in your screenshot, that applies to all ISPs (including BT Retail) who use the BT/OR infrastructure.

John
gdp007
Grafter

BT have two options. One they call 'Full Fibre' and the other just 'Fibre'. It is the latter 'Fibre' that they are saying would be available. It does say that 'Full Fibre' is not available.

jab1
Legend

'Full Fibre' is also/better known as FTTP and I agree that it is not available to you. 'Fibre' is also known as FTTC (VDSL on that screenshot) and it indicates there that there are no free ports on your local cab, so, like all ISPs, they would not be able to install it for you - whatever the sales people are telling you.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Unless BT are offering G.Fast (called UltraFast by BT retail I think) which as @bmc  said , Is available ...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW possible, but @gdp007 said the offer was for 'Fibre' - FTTC?

John