Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ending, upgrade option

gdp007
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Contract ending, upgrade option

One suspects that they don't want to turn customers away. So, I would interpret it as saying yes, that service could be brought to you but it doesnt necessarily mean that it is currently available. I would guess that you have to go deep into the order process before finding that out!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@jab1  @gdp007 actually said BT have got availability for my line with their Fibre service

Didnt say FTTC...

Or maybe Openreach keep a few lines spare for BT Retail! I know its not supposed to happen but who knows...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

by which time, @gdp007 , manny people would find themselves dumped onto a BT Retail ADSL contract they would struggle to get out of.

John
jab1
Legend

@MisterW wrote:

@jab1  @gdp007 actually said BT have got availability for my line with their Fibre service

Didnt say FTTC...

Yep, but AIUI - BT Retail 'Fibre' is FTTC, 'Full Fibre' is FTTP?

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

I'm not certain about this but do not BT simply offer the speeds available and then supply via the most suitable medium ie FTTC, g.Fast or FTTP

The answer would be in what speeds BT said could be received - if they spoke about anything over 80 download then they are talking g.Fast.

Brian

jab1
Legend

Don't know @bmc  - but they SHOULD advise a potential customer what service they are offering - although they seem to find it difficult, for some reason.

John
bmc
Hero

@gdp007 wrote:

BT have got availability for my line with their Fibre service. Quite a price hike though as it is £32.99 for BB+line rental. Plus a £19.99 admin fee. I believe Plusnet requires 14 days notice if changing supplier. As my contract runs out January 22nd that would mean using an alternate supplier by about Jan 6th.

Other options seem to be take another contract with Plusnet on existing Broadband then as advised check availability then upgrade to Fibre.

I will have to have a look around and see if any other options are available.

Any move is led by the gaining ISP - ie you don't tell PlusNet. BT might be slightly different in that PlusNet are a group company and might waive termination fees - not that this would be much given the length of contract remaining.

If you're happy with FTTC speeds then you can re-contract with PlusNet and check available on a regular basis. I would do any re-contract via the phone to make sure you get the HubTwo.

If you want g.Fast for the speed you'll need to move. Given it requires an engineer to work at the cabinet the install date cannot be guarenteed until the order is placed (and even then can be delayed). If this takes you past your PlusNet contract you'd simply be moved onto the standard 30 contract (I believe).

Brian

bmc
Hero

@gdp007 

I suspect "Fibre" will refer to either FTTC or g.Fast - they both use your copper line from the cabinet to your property.

g.Fast uses different equipment to FTTC so there can be availability for g.Fast but not FTTC (or vice versa). If you can find your local cabinet it'll probably have a side pod attached. There's a picture here

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/12/identifying-bt-and-virgin-medias-uk-broadband-street-f...

Brian

gdp007
Grafter

I believe I am correct in saying that Plusnet is part of the BT group?

As identified earlier the Openreach fibre system from the cabinet that serves my property has the ability to give me the fibre connection. But, currently no actual availability. I did find that Openreach had an availability checker and for the address/phone line number I gave it couldn't give an answer. They do have an enquiry form in which its possible to ask questions about the service options available to my property. To which I have sent my details and some questions. It will be interesting to see what their response will be.

I did try another provider who did show that the only option available was the standard broadband and fibre options were 'greyed out' and could not be chosen. It would be more helpful if Plusnet did this so it was possible to quickly check what was available. From the replies I have received and my own research it would appear that currently standard broadband would be the only option. Whether i renew the contract with Plusnet or go to another provider?

I will wait and see what information Openreach come back with and go from there.

jab1
Legend

@gdp007 As I certainly, and possibly others, have said, currently there are no spare ports in your local VDSL (fibre) cab,  so no provider would be able to offer you an FTTC service - at the moment - but a daily check of the BTW site would alert you as to when ports become available - at which point you could then attempt to place an order for FTTC.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@gdp007 

The simple answer is that the  Plusnet broadband product range  only includes ADSL and FTTC (VDSL), which is currently unavailable due to a lack of capacity. Other providers may have a wider range whch might or might not include G-Fast, which is available.

Plusnet can only work off the table that you have posted above. Whether or not they are owned by BT is irrelevant.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gdp007
Grafter

Unfortunately, the information provided by you is not given by Plusnet. My point being that if they send an email which gives notice of a contract renewal that includes an option to upgrade to Fibre then they should tell the customer that currently that option is not available. As this was the reason I began the question in the forum. As the website does not give that information and leads to confusion.

I have posed the question to Openreach as they are the actual providers so they should be able to give an answer to when the service wll be available. That in turn would enable me to make a better informed decision on what the best option would be.

Correct. Plusnet being part of BT is not relevant to my question. But, I think is useful to know as to what you are actually dealing with.

jab1
Legend

@gdp007 Plusnet are not aware of individual VDSL cab capacity at the time they send these automated emails - or any time, unless they are asked directly to check, which is why the BTW checker is available to you to enable you to make a personalised check.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@gdp007 wrote:

My point being that if they send an email which gives notice of a contract renewal that includes an option to upgrade to Fibre then they should tell the customer that currently that option is not available.

The availability of free working FTTC ports can vary day by day due to...

• Free ports being allocated to new subscribers
  • Free ports being used to rectify faulty services
  • Ports being freed as subscribers cease service
  • New ports being added to the cabinet

Therefore the availability of an option will vary day by day on cabinets which have marginal capacity.  It is not unheard of for there to be port availability on order take, only for there to be no post available on installation because the last free port was used as a fix for a faulty one for another subscriber.

As you observe all ISPs are "at the mercy" of BT Openreach infrastructure availability.  The options offered in email communications refer to what is available "in principle" not what capacity is or is not available on the day the email is generated.

This discussion needs to take place with COTS who should be able to advise of the forecast date for additional capacity on your cabinet.

Contact Customer Options

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)

Available 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 7pm Saturday
9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@gdp007 

In a previous post (#10) you said BT Fibre was available - is this still the case. More to the point though, what speeds did they offer.

Brian