Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: WiFi calling

@CoolerKing   have you learnt nothing from this thread?

@Stewey   It depends on who your mobile service is with. If PN, then no.

It also depends on your phone, and if your mobile provider supports WiFi calling.

CoolerKing
Grafter

I'm just here to learn and help if I can. I claim no expertise, but will post my findings through personal experience.

I discovered something that's been evading me for a long time through all the ideas posted here. I put that discovery into practice and it solved my problem (currently) and shared it.
Stewey

Excellent!  My plusnet broadband contract is up for renewal and I am looking to ditch the landline bit and upgrade to one of the flavours of Full Fibre for the broadband bit only.  Our mobiles are with Plusnet, so it was good(ish) to find out that although I will have to switch away from Plusnet Mobile to get WIFI calling I won't be tied to the same supplier for the Broadband.

This is the first year for at least a decade that I'll also be considering moving away from Plusnet broadband.  The service has been occasionally unreliable over the last 12 months with intermittent short blips (apparently self healing)... though it could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire if you read the horror stories about all broadband suppliers.  Do you know if all 150Mb+ broadband services use the BT network (aside from Virgin)?

NOTE: I hesitate to use the terms FTTC/FTTH/FTTP as data throughput may have improved across older copper wire since I last looked into all this 🙂

CoolerKing
Grafter

No idea. I've been with PN for quite a while with virtually no issues until an upgrade to full fibre went badly wrong. I cancelled and kept my copper/fibre contract until Openreach improved but I've just decided to try again via a promise by PNs Gary Walker. My problem lay in the fact I must have a connection due to family working with very important high level contracts. But I'm informed by Gary that my copper connection will not be removed until the optic cable and connection is proven. There seems to be a lot of issues online regarding Openreach and full fibre although my son says his went very well.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@RobPN 

Excellent idea. There should be no need to switch the WiFi on and off, just leave it on. I suspect it’s just the case of dropping the mobile connection for a short period, just long enough for the phone to reset itself and start looking at the options.

@Baldrick1 

For clarity, I was referring to switching WiFi back on after enabling Flight mode which switches it off.  Thumbs_Up

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@RobPN 

That’s interesting. I get that Flight Mode would switch off using it as a hot spot but didn’t realise that it would also stop the phone from using one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'