cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PlusNet mobile abroad is too expensive!

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Using PlusNet mobile abroad is too expensive!

I see costs for using PlusNet Mobile in far-flung areas are still horrendous. 

I've recently been to Texas and Australia where the PlusNet Mobile call charges are respectively £1.30 make/£0.70 receive and £1.45 make/£0.90 receive. Both have data at a ridiculous £8 per MB.

When Three can offer both places at "Feel at Home" prices, why does PlusNet Mobile have to be so expensive?!?!? 

The only good thing is that it's far easier to find out what the costs are at https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/ than other mobile operators I've looked at

21 REPLIES 21
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Re: Using PlusNet mobile abroad is too expensive!

I think someone's done a 'cut & paste' and got the info wrong in at least one place...

From the UK to Band 1 ( i.e EU ) - £1.00/min and 21p/Text, that's got to be wrong!!!!, my Giffgaff PAYG is only 2p/min to an EU landline and 3-5p/min to a mobile

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobboulby
Grafter

Please could someone let us know if there will be an add-on to cover charges while abroad.

Thanks - Bob.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If the call costs to the EU are correct then it's not for me. Whilst I don't make many calls, £1 a minute is completely over the top! Otherwise it seems a very good deal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

We don't provide any bolt-ons whilst abroad. International and Roaming calls etc aren't included within your allowance, so it will charge extra. -Ashleigh

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Actually the costs when you are in Europe are reasonable. When visiting my Son who lives in Spain I can phone home in the UK for just 4.4p a minute but from the UK it will cost £1.00 a minute to phone him in Spain. So a 5 minute call will cost just 22p from Spain but £5.00 from the UK - surely that can't be correct can it?

cyrix2000
Dabbler

The costs calling from EU countries to another EU country (if you are roaming) are regulated by the EU and should be the same for every provider (plus.net has no influence on that, from June 2017 all calls from EU countries back to the UK will be charged the same as calls within the UK, same for data, https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/roaming-tariffs).

On the other side, calls from the UK to other countries are not falling under this EU regulation, so providers can make up prices as they wish.

So it will be fun what happens after the UK has left the EU... back to ridiculous pricing for UK customers in EU countries...

Ronski
Rising Star

Its the cost of data and calls when abroad which is stopping me from switching, the same minutes/data here is £4 cheaper than my current contract with Three, but the one big advantage with Three is the "Feel at home" feature. We only go on holiday abroad once a year, but I'd hate to think what those two weeks would cost with PN if I used my phone like I do with Three!

bluefish2303
Dabbler

Just source a local SIM in the country you are visiting; these work out a lot less expensive. My parents in law are in Spain a lot now they are retired and find this method by far the cheapest. HTH.

cyrix2000
Dabbler

As I mentioned earlier: from June 2017 it is not a topic anymore, as you can phone in every EU country back to the UK for the same price as within the UK (counted against your inclusive minutes or data volume)

bluefish2303
Dabbler

Thanks for clarifying Smiley But in the meantime you can use the method I suggested.

cyrix2000
Dabbler

Who knows... your tip may become useful again after Brexit 😛

bluefish2303
Dabbler

If you don't have roaming enabled then now would also be good Tongue Besides Brexit will prove too hard!! LOL

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@cyrix2000 - some of us travel beyond Europe.

For a recent holiday in Australia I used Three "Feel at home" for UK calls and local data (12GB on a £20 top-up) and bought a Coles Mobile SIM for £12 that had a month's unlimited calls and texts within Australia (and 2GB data) for about £12. For travelling I have a dual-SIM phone...
Madelineharder

I'm on a contract for £5.95 a month and recently came back from Tenerife where call are £4.35p/min & 0.98P/min to receive SMS £1.74p and data £4.35p/MB i suggest buying anther international SIM on pay as you go and switching as it is ridiculously expensive otherwise Smiley