cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PlusNet mobile abroad is too expensive!

Selgovae
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Using PlusNet mobile abroad is too expensive!

This forum thread has confused me.
As I'm going to Tenerife in February I thought I would voice my understanding of the Plusnet roaming charges. They appear to be similar to the EE PAYG rates. If I am wrong please let me know.

In Spain I can phone back to the UK (including AnswerPhone) for just 4.4p a minute and to receive its 1p per minute. Texts cost 1.8p per text and free to receive.

In Spain I can phone another EU country (say to book a restaurant) for just 4.4p a minute and to receive its 1p per minute. Texts cost 1.8p per text and free to receive.

The problem is the cost of phoning from the UK to Spain as it will cost £1.00 per minute.
The only way around this ridiculous charge is for me to use a VOIP account and software, then use my phone data or WiFi to do this. I use 007VoIP.com and on my android phone I use Zoiper (http://www.zoiper.com/en). They only charge €0.01 per minute to call a Spanish landline and €0.02 per minute to call a Spanish mobile. A lot better I'm sure you'll agree.
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The call cost to the EU from the UK is ridiculously high but there are so many alternatives now it's not really a problem. I use Telegram which is an excellent messaging App and of course Skype. Otherwise the Plusnet deal is hard to beat.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I think PN should add bolt on for roaming abroad for unlimited calls (within EU and to UK), unlimited text (within EU and to UK) and data (within EU) for about £3 per day seem fair! so, 2 weeks of holiday would cost around £42 no more (only if u use it every days for 2 weeks)

SquareRootNet

You can see what PlusNet are doing here.  They're exploiting the fact most people don't take roaming costs into consideration when buying a phone\SIM contract.  People look at minutes, data, texts, and sometimes coverage but not usually roaming costs.  I'm sure it's been a nice wheeze for PlusNet: customers hitting their monthly cost ceiling each time they go on holiday, but it leaves a bad impression of the company in the eyes of their customers.  

With the new EU regulations, it's less of a problem for roaming minutes and texts, but if you want to have data abroad, your only choice is to put a different SIM in your phone - and be uncontactable while abroad.  Not what we had in mind when we became PlusNet customers.  PlusNet, please sort this mess out and introduce travel bundles like your competitors.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Or you find a WiFi hotspot (common everywhere) or of course, PN are only a monthly rolling contract. Hardly a 'mess' now is it.

SquareRootNet

WiFi hotspot locations are uncertain until you reach your destination, and have a multitude of providers\tariffs.  WiFi coverage is, of course, far patchier than 3g\4g.  In short WiFi abroad is no substitute for roaming data, which is available reliably and at known cost.  PlusNet's competitors who offer rolling 30-day contracts (eg Virgin Mobile) provide travel bundles.  For PlusNet not to is a glaring omission, and yes a mess they need to fix.  I'd say the majority of PlusNet customers will travel abroad at some stage and will need a proper roaming facility.  PlusNet, please fix.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I think I have to leave plusnet mobile because they seem not interesting to add abroad bolt on. Other mobile providers do this. Why can't PN not doing this? I am fed up with PN will not adding travel abroad bolt on for customers who really want it.

Come on PN, just do it.