cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G and 2G bands switch off

Moscarella
Grafter

Re: 3G and 2G bands switch off

Hi. If push comes to shove, with legislation forcing smart meter installation, I will ask for prepayment meters instead, at least I still have some control. This however, raises another related question, What is the function of the second and hidden modem in these? I have seem these dismantled and even the experts cannot divine the either the function of this hidden modem, or just who or what this is communication with or why.

Lastly, I am at a complete loss as to why this subject has again reared its head within the subject of band switch off!

Tags (1)
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@aesmith 

"Presumable your IHD would lose that function if you change supplier."

I thought that maintaining full functionality when changing supplier, was the main point of version 2, (SMETS2?), Smart Meters, (which I have).

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

@Mr_Paul wrote:

@aesmith 

"Presumable your IHD would lose that function if you change supplier."

I thought that maintaining full functionality when changing supplier, was the main point of version 2, (SMETS2?), Smart Meters, (which I have).

I'm speculating here, but I assume that your IHD uses your Internet connection to get tariff information from British Gas.  If that's correct the it may be that changing supplier will mean the IHD loses that tariff information. It may still get usage direct from the Comms Hub, or it may stop working altogether. It depends to what extent BG have customised it.

In this context "full functionality" refers to the interaction between supplier and the meters, via DCC. Even the basic IHD doesn't seem to be considered core, I've seen plenty of references to suppliers declining to supply a replacement if it stops working or was lost.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Moscarella  have you looked at mobiles using the KaiOS operating system ?

As an example the Nokia 800  has a removable battery that lasts WEEKS -

Standby time (Dual SIM, 3G), up to:    30.4 days
Standby time (Dual SIM, 4G), up to:    22.4 days
Standby time (Dual SIM, GSM), up to:    36.2 days
Standby time (Single SIM, 3G), up to:    43 days
Standby time (Single SIM, 4G), up to:    34 days
Standby time (Single SIM, GSM), up to:    43.7 days
Talk time (Dual SIM, 3G), up to:    14.3 hrs
Talk time (Dual SIM, 4G), up to:    9.4 hrs
Talk time (Dual SIM, GSM), up to:    12.5 hrs
Talk time (Single SIM, 3G), up to:    14.3 hrs
Talk time (Single SIM, 4G), up to:    9.4 hrs
Talk time (Single SIM, GSM), up to:    12.5 hrs

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, No, I am waiting for the new ruling (EEC), that all mobile phone have to have replaceable batteries to filter down to the U.K. (Some hope),

My son has a new low end moto that he gets 15 days plus on standby on!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't see that happening BEFORE 3G disappears

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Moscarella 

"I am waiting for the new ruling (EEC), that all mobile phone have to have replaceable batteries to filter down to the U.K. (Some hope),"

I would think that even if that EU directive is not adopted in the UK, the phones sold here would be the same, and therefore compliant? Similarly with the directive that USB-C is to become the standard charging connector.

It wouldn't make sense for phone manufacturers to produce a UK model that was physically different to the European version - our market is too small, relatively. (The phone's firmware might be different though).

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, Like the war of the worlds, this is a creeping menace heralded by the 5G tripods so is selective according to your area, the compulsion for the U.K market mobiles to have replaceable batteries and kill off the market to replace your phone every couple of years , not mentioning the lucrative phone repair industry is going to be an uphill battle....We may be better off with the Martians.

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, I have not the slightest doubt that you are right, I can see the brick wall from here quite clearly even now.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's going to be a long long time before there's anything near full UK 5G coverage. So on that basis a 4G phone should be good for a few years. I have a second hand iPhone SE that cost £89 a couple of years ago.

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, I agree, however 3g switchoff has, and is already switched of in major cities even now, Shorter range, shorter battey life!