cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G and 2G bands switch off

Moscarella
Grafter

3G and 2G bands switch off

With regard to the proposed switch off of the 2G and 3G tbands due to happen very soon "to free up bandwidth for 5G". I wonder just how big the mountain of uselee mobile phones is going to be.

I myself have been busy sizing up the replacement for my now elderly Samsung S10+ which of course is an LTE with no 5G capability and have obviously been reading reviews. In this, I am somewhat dismayed to realise that the mobile phone range available seem to have more powerful processors with extra bells and whistles and of course 5G capability and the batteries smaller or at the best, no bigger than previous models, with reviewers saying "A full days use is possible before re-charging"

Even my old Samsung will last over two days on battery with moderate use. This seems to be compensated for by the use of high wattage "fast chargers", a perfect scenario for not only cooking the battery with all the risks inherent in this, but also shortening the battery life.. A problem which will be further compounded by the bands switch off as the 5G capable phones will be continually polling the 5G band as well as the 4G band. I have to put the reviewers estimate of "A possible full days use" down to around six hours between charges.

The total upshot of this preamble is that as mobile phone batteries are all non replaceable, We can look forward to replacing our mobile phone yearly. All Lithium batteries have a life cycle of an average of 500 charges. Work out the life cycle of any lithium battery that has a six hour recharge cycle....Talk about built in obsolescence!

40 REPLIES 40
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: 3G and 2G bands switch off

Hi Moscarella,
2G is not being turned off until the 2030's so no immediate need to replace an old phone used for calls.
The exception being the Three network which has never provided 2G.
Three like Vodafone & EE are turning off 3G over the next couple of years.

Regarding batteries, the EU have voted to mandate that phone batteries are easily replacable.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/24/23771064/european-union-battery-regulation-ecodesign-user-replaca...

And Fairphone already make a smartphone that had a user replacable battery and is supported with software updates for several years.
https://www.fairphone.com/en/https://www.fairphone.com/en/

Regards
Richard
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Moscarella 

"The total upshot of this preamble is that as mobile phone batteries are all non replaceable, We can look forward to replacing our mobile phone yearly."

Not true!

Many, (most?), phones can actually have their battery's replaced - though it is not generally a DIY job. I have used this company a couple of times in the past, (note that their website seems to take a long time to load each page):

https://fixfactor.co.uk/

They are quoting £80 to replace the battery for your S10+

https://fixfactor.co.uk/samsung-repair/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-repair/

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, Thanks for your reply...A quote of £80-00 for battery replacement exceeds the value of the phone!

Regards

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I rsther think that actual switch off dates are very much like the switch off dates of Plusnet mobile...Shrouded in mystery. Facts are awkward things, they will not go away and it still remains that these bands will be switched off in direct proportion to the erection/modification of 5G masts in a area..

My information is that switch off of these bands is being done more quickly in major UK cities, but as you say, will linger in more unurbanised areas until a much later date. I guess it all depends where you live until you switch on your 3G phone and see "No Service" looking at you from the screen.

As a "Joe Soap" mobile phone user myself, I really don't need a 7 inch screen, a 20mp camera or an octacore processor. I would only like the battery replacement ease of my ancient Samsung S3 that I bought new a lifetime ago!

Best Regards

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Moscarella 

Replacing the battery may well cost more than the market value of the phone, but how much will it cost to buy a new phone?

Considerably more than £80 I would think?

Also, are you sure that you are not undervaluing your current phone? I've just taken a look at what CEX buy and sell for:

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=samsung%20s10%20plus

I have a 16 month old Samsung A41, whose battery generally only needs recharging every couple of days or so. I let it get down to between 40-50% before plugging it in, (not always convenient to do that though), and I always use the Samsung provided fast charger.

I do intend to get the battery replaced when the time comes though.

As you noted in your OP, modern phones often seem to come with "more powerful processors with extra bells and whistles and of course 5G capability and the batteries smaller or at the best, no bigger than previous models,".

I, I'm guessing like yourself, have no need for these extra features - but the thing that I have noticed is that screen sizes seem to be getting bigger and bigger. My A41 has a 6.1" 1080 x 2400 pixel display, which is more than adequate for my needs. In fact, anything bigger will probably not fit neatly inside the cubby bow between the front seats of my car, where I plug the USB in for Android Auto navigation etc!

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi.I see that you are, or represent a mobile phone dealer. I am sure that I would be surprised at the market value of my phone by clicking your link (Which I will not do). I cannot help wondering however, what the market value of a phone would be with a completely dead battery that seems to cost an arm and a leg to replace! I suspect that it's value would not justify the postage sending it.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Moscarella 

"I see that you are, or represent a mobile phone dealer."

Is that comment addressed to me?

I am certainly not, nor have I ever been, a mobile phone dealer - I am a retired telecoms and broadcast engineer, if that is relevant?

The link that I provided is for CEX - the well known high street store, who buy and sell second hand electronic items.

Also, if you do click on the link, and re-arrange in "Price: Low to High" order, you will see that CEX offer £22 for a "non-working" S10+, and will sell you one for £40!

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, Thanks for the update. At my time of life I am not short of money....Only time, Whatever a replacement costs is not my concern, only that whatever that cost is, the phone itself will be fit only for the recycle bin in what seems a rapidly decreasing time cycle until it all ends up with a yearly cycle of buying new phones because the damn things are glued together with a battery that is not fit for purpose, and that a simple re-design reverting to the pull off back would enable a user battery change.

Makers won't do this because their job is to sell you the latest model, not make it easier for you to eke out the life of the one you have.

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, My apologies, I trust that you will understand that anyone posting commercial links on a forum will be automatically thought to be linked commercially or financially to that link. The name provided in that link was unknown to me.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi

Re>>I rsther think that actual switch off dates are very much like the switch off dates of Plusnet mobile...Shrouded in mystery. Facts are awkward things, they will not go away and it still remains that these bands will be switched off in direct proportion to the erection/modification of 5G masts in a area..

The role out of 5G will have little effect on the closure of 2G in the 2030's.

Many embedded devices other than mobile phones rely on 2G to provide, all be it slow, connectivity.

This includes electric smart meters in the south of the UK (these send their data via the 02 2G network).

2G will remain until these services move to 4G and embedded systems take many years to be replaced.

Unlike 3G, 2G takes up little of the Mobile phone networks valuable frequency spectrum.

In addition, 2G provides the fall back for voice services on all mobile phones.

Regards

Richard

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

Deleted

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Yes as mentioned in my post.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@RichardB 

Sorry, I first read your post on a small screen and didn't see the first part of it - which is why I went back and deleted my post.

Moscarella
Grafter

Hi, Thanks for the heads up. 2G is of little concern to me as I won't have smart meter as I am aware of the dirty tricks these are used for such as spot tariff changes. Industry will have to sort its own problems out. I posted as a private user simply to point out that this is, nor wil be a blanket switch off, more a creeping menace spread by 5G masts, rather like the tripods in war of the worlds.