cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Vodafone Sure Signal with Plusnet's Thomson/Technicolor routers

So you have just come over to Plusnet and your new Thomson or Technicolor router, your sure signal doesn’t work with it and you are at the end of your tether? Don’t worry, follow this guide and you’ll be back on track.

Stage One - Login to your router

If you have a Thomson or Technicolor router in normal setup then click here. If this doesn’t work then you will need to type http://192.168.1.254 into the address bar of your web browser.

You will need to enter admin as the username and the serial number of your router as the password, you may have changed this and if you cannot remember it you will have to reset your router.

01-login

Once you have entered these details you will need to click “OK” or “Login”, this will take you to the home page of the router.

Stage Two – Create the forwarding profile

On the home page look for the toolbox section in the middle of the page and click “Game & Application Sharing”.

02-appshare

On the next page you will see the list of games and applications assigned to devices on your local network. The router does not have a predefined profile for the sure signal so we need to create one, click the “Create a new game or application” link to do that.

03-create

You then need to set the name of the profile and that you want to manually set the ports to be mapped. If you want more information on what ports are check out this article on Wikipedia.

04-title

Once you have clicked next you will have to start entering port numbers. The ports we are forwarding are 50, 123, 500 and 4500, we need to enter the port numbers as both start and end of the range and the “Translate To” field.

05-enterports

Each time you enter the port numbers you will need to click add, do this for each set until you have something along the lines of what is below.

06-portsdone

When you’re done with that we need to assign the profile to a device on our local network, to do this click the option highlighted above.

Stage Three – Assign the profile to a device

Now you have the profile done it’s time to assign it to your Sure Signal. On the game and application sharing page you will find some drop down lists, the first allows you to select the profile we created in the earlier section. Once you have found the profile you need to find your sure signal in the second drop down list, if you have any problems with your sure signal Vodafone may ask you to turn the “Log” option on. When you have selected everything click “Add” to assign the profile.

07-assignhost

When the page reloads you should have a row on the table of assigned profiles with your selection.

08-end

This means everything is set up, if your sure signal has any problems after this then you should try turning both your router and your sure signal off and then back on again. If any problems persist your best option is to contact Vodafone support on 08700 700191 or dial 191 from your Vodafone mobile.

Author: Lawrence Goldstien.

0 Thanks
6 Comments
6 Comments
mattturner
Grafter
I've never had a problem with port forwarding with one of these devices.
My experience has been to just plug it in and they seem to work fine and negotiate ports themselves (standard TG585v8 router).
SeanBigBoss
Not applicable
Mine was stuck with solid Red light and slow flashing internet light for over one week!
Few extra steps which it might help you to get your Vodafone Sure Signal working with your Fibre PlusNet router (Technicolor TG582n FTTC).
1. Follow the instructions above for the port forwarding
2. Switch off the Vodafone Sure Signal
3. Switch off the Technicolor TG582n FTTC router
4. Switch off the BT Open Reach modem
5. While all devices are off switch back the Vodafone Sure Signal and wait 3 minutes
6. Switch back the Technicolor TG582n FTTC router and wait 3 minutes
7. Switch Back the BT Open Reach modem
After 2-4 minutes you notice different lights comes on your Vodafone Sure Signal device (amber flashing lights), make sure you wait around 1-2 hours for all the lights to turn white and make sure no one is downloading anything specially P2P application (BitTorrent)
Note: Vodafone Sure Signal device should be registered with your Vodafone account before you can start using the Vodafone Sure Signal, normally you should receive a confirmation text message from Vodafone to confirm the VSS is ready to be used!
I am not affiliated with Vodafone nor Plusnet! 😉
Enjoy!
BigBoss
deejayburnout1
Not applicable
excellent guide
markinapub
The above is excellent and I used it to reactivate my Sure Signal after switching to fibre; however, I've recently installed a Synology NAS drive on my network and suddenly my Sure Signal isn't working again.
I've checked through and can't see any obvious changes in the router's settings - is there something obvious I'm missing that the NAS might have changed on my router? Any pointers on where to look gratefully received!
runrep
Not applicable
Hi, Ive been fighting with this for 3 solid days as Sure Signal is crucial to me. Its been working for 3 yrs but since I switched to fibre, nada. Im told Plusnet cant (wont) help coz they dont support it (not trained) and Voda says only plusnet can sort it. AAAAAHHHH!
I have SS version 1 ie four lights. I can get lights 1&2 on fully for a short time. Lite 4 comes on pulsing. After 2 mins, all lights extinguish and it cycles round gain. Voda tell me their system confirms I have established a connection for a few seconds.
I have two issues (apart from it doesnt work) In the example above, he sets the game as ATHENA. Is that important as its not in the present games list. 2/ The allocated game IP address is 192.168.1.65 but Voda tell me their IP is different. Does this matter or does the router do the conversion via UPnP ? (yes its on.)
Any help would be welcomed....oh BTW ive reset the SS and router 100 times and my line speed is phenomenal. Heres a screenshot:
Untitled
runrep
Not applicable
Weird!!! I have had SS for 4 yrs and it worked well. Switched to plusnet fibre and it went AWOL. Spent 4 days reading blogs till my eyes popped out and pressing buttons/reconfiguring modem/SS....rang Voda (useless)....rang Plusnet (Sorry SS not supported...useless). Finally spoke to 2 helpful Plusnet guys and asked them to read the flaming blogs (dont know if they did but they promised to escalate....?). The blogs say this wont work with PPoE only PPoA. So I gave up......Four days later I looked at SS. Blow me down, four lights and working like a charm!!! So doesnt work with PPoE.....WRONG...it is!!!
Did Plusnet change something meanwhile; Dunno? All I can tell you is, it CAN work with PPoE, coz it IS as of now.
The ONLY thing I can suggest is that VODA say it needs a static IP. So for the princely sum of £5 plusnet gave me my own IP. Stuffed it in...nada. 4 days later....it works?
Frustrated but v happy. GL all.