cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone message signal on constantly

danny1199
Dabbler

Phone message signal on constantly

My main phone is giving the signal that I have a message whenever I pick it up, even though there are none when I check.  I am now unable to make outgoing calls.  How do I correct this while keeping the option to receive messages left?

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Phone message signal on constantly

What happens when you attempt to make outbound calls?  You should be able to make calls with the interrupted dial tone.  If you cannot, it might not be an interrupted dial tone which you are hearing, but possibly some other line condition.

If things are as you state, then how do you know that there are no messages ... as you'll not be able to dial the message retrieval number.

Can you receive calls?

Try running the telephone faults bot - see below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

danny1199
Dabbler

Re: Phone message signal on constantly

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ve found that I can make and receive calls even with the interrupted dial tone. An Open reach engineer came yesterday and couldn’t fix it so I’m getting a new handset with answerphone and switching off the 1571.  I’ve needed a new handset for ages so not a big deal.  I’ll never know what the solution is now.  I appreciate your reply though so thanks.