Did you mean: 

Bad line?

FIXED
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Bad line?

Above.

When I make some calls on the PN landline, the other end often says they can't hear me and it's a bad line! I suspect the problem is more at their end as other people can hear me... I don't have £65 for an Engineer to come and check my line, is there anything I can do?

I do have a very distinctive local accent, which Foreign call centres hate because they don't understand me, but this is happening even on UK based numbers, I have to repeatedly tell them "I am speaking English in a Sheffield accent!" which gets annoying rather quickly.

Do you see? Cheesy
24 REPLIES 24
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Bad line?

As has been suggested on your other topic: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/How-much-would-it-cost-to-get-out-of-contract-now/m... , you need to carry out checks at your end, and then report a phone problem - this will probably also sort that issue as well - a defective phone line problem will cause your speed issues.

DO report the phone issue first, though.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I have asked the mods to consider merging the two topics or locking the other one so that there might be a focus on the real issue here - a potentially faulty phone line.

Have you run the telephone fault checker (see the link below) and if yes, what was the outcome?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @MrAllen2021 

I'm sorry for the issues with your line. Looking at your other thread Here I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues, so I'd recommend ruling out any issues with your internal wiring or equipment by plugging your phone and router into the test socket as explained Here and trying a different phone handset. 

If you're still having issues, then I'd report a fault to us at faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer to investigate further. If you carry out the troubleshooting we say, you don't miss the engineer appointment we book for you, and you haven't damaged Openreach's equipment like the phone socket, then we're not likely to charge for the visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

I'll get some help trying another phone handset this week and report back.

I suspect it's the line that's at fault though as this is the second handset I've had to report issues with on the PN line.

Do you see? Cheesy
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@MrAllen2021 If you already have a handset, you have been given details on how to run the required line checks - have you done this?

John
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

No because I'm not at the Flat today, I never am on a Monday.

I'll get Dad to help me do the checks tomorrow.

Do you see? Cheesy
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @MrAllen2021 

Let us know how it goes

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

I've asked Dad and he says the master socket down at the Flat's faulty anyway, he says he'll check it tomorrow.

@Gandalf Does that warrant a solution your Wizard-ship? Cheesy 

Do you see? Cheesy
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Haha, does that mean you still have issues in the test socket?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

Probably, I'll find out tomorrow.

Do you see? Cheesy
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

So I just got off the phone to technical support, they tested the line, nothing wrong... She sent me an email to test the speed of the Fibre connection, it should be a minimum of 71 Mb/s but it comes in at a bit less than 65, at 64.96 Mb/s.

I've only recently bought a new cordless handset for the landline, £20 on eBay, so I don't think that's the problem.

Do you see? Cheesy
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @MrAllen2021

I've also tested the line this morning and can see no faults at all with the network. My speed test results do differ slightly, in that the line is syncing at 71Mbps. The line appears to be relatively stable on our end, and is not banded at all.

Again, I'd echo @Gandalf in ensuring that there are no issues with the internal wiring / equipment, though I can see that you've mentioned a faulty master socket.

Just to point out as well, your MGS on our end is set at 59Mbps. I'll attach my KBD results to this post for your reference. Let us know how you get on after trying a different handset, and feel free to head over to faults.plus.net if the issues persist.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 71.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 315.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-06-23T11:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 70.0 Mbps 71.2 Mbps 70.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 502.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.5 Sec
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

Well there is the faulty master socket behind the Router, but I can't really get that sorted without the 65 quid Engineer visit, which is an expense I could kind of do without.

Do you see? Cheesy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

“ I suspect the problem is more at their end as other people can hear me... “

Probably then that’s where the problem is - on the other party’s phone line - not yours?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.