cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 media server

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

PS3 media server

Just been playing with this http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ using my mac as the server
seems really light on the mac and the streaming is excellent.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
8 REPLIES 8
oplesrope
Grafter

Re: PS3 media server

ooh - will have a look into it. i actually forked out ($20) on this one: http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink which is ok.  not that i have much media to stream from my little laptop.  stutters when playing video podcasts from itunes, although seems fine when playing movies from a mounted firewire drive. ho hum, thanks for the heads up.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

For Windows users, Media Player (latest version) runs a pretty tidy server.  It isn't as heavy as the player it's self is, and works even from the login screen, so if the files are on someone elses account you can still access them, as long as that person has added them to the library.  Down sides are that it can be a little tricky to set up and only servers local media.
Vuze (formerly Azureus) is -to the best of my knowledge- a cross platform program.  It started out life as a bit torrent client and then grew in a very positive direction.  Developed for and securing legitimate and offical content, it became supported by some big players and can now even offer limited HD content (predominantly trailers) as well as music videos and episodes from a selection of TV series for free along with other content that you can pay for.  It has it's own host servers that it access these from and has the capacity to play live media from it's servers.  If you can configure it right you can get it to operate as a live media server for the PS3 that yuo can streem it's hosted content to, as well as anthing that you have set up localy as well.  there is even the option to set up preview streeming, so you can play parts of torrents that you are downloading as well.  Add to that it's free, and has also recently undergone yet another face lift making it much more user friendly and you can see why I recomend it.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

some of the guys I play online with gave that media server a great thumbs up, not tried myself yet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Regarding Vuze, it still is predominantly a P2P application and all it's networking is done via P2P.
Was a very big fan when it was called Azureus and was my choice of P2P client for a long time.
Like the ps3mediaserver it is written in java, however the problem is it has got very bloated and resource hungry, whichever platform you run it on.
The other issue is that if you want serve something up on the media server that you haven't downloaded as a torrent you seem to need to create a new torrent so that it appears.
Also it will doesn't cater for media types not supported by the PS3, whereas others do.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I started off using the standard WMP11 sharing facility, but found that the message 'Data is Corrupt'  came up quite often. I think Windows Media Player is pretty fussy regarding the file types it plays.
I now use TVersity, it comes with a codec pack and will stream pretty much anything. Also menu's on PS3 seem a lot faster with TVersity.
Will look into the Aureus one now though Wink
Cheers All
mdean
Grafter

This is a really good media server with another litle program as well mkv2vob
Tyreal74
Grafter

been using Tversity for about 2 and a half years now, totally spot on.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

the ps3mediaserver (on wired) transcode on the fly function is really good, gone the days of messing around to watch .mkv on the ps3 Cheesy