cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Wii Discs

dgreen007
Grafter

Backing up Wii Discs

Now I know this may cause a few of those eyebrows to raise (especially the moderators) but I have had a situation with one of my beloved Wii game discs and I don't want the same thing to happen again.
I recently bought Call of Duty - world at war for my Wii. It's brilliant for anyone who doesn't already know and I spent many an unsociable hour playing this highly addictive game.
Unfortunately the disc has been damaged without any hope whatsoever of recovering the game.
I'm gutted of course and my question is how can I prevent this from happening again.
"don't be so careless" I hear some of you say.
"you shouldn't have bought the console in the first place" my mum said.
Ok, what I really need to do is back up the games before they get destroyed.
I've been scouring the internet and have come across some interesting sites but is any of it true.
Can someone please enlighten me (or put me out of my misery) can the Wii games be backed up onto another disc and then played on the console?
24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Backing up Wii Discs

To back up your disk you need a specific type of DVD reader.
To play it your Wii needs to be chipped.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dgreen007
Grafter

Adiewoo,
Thanks for the reply.
Do you know where I can get the specific drive and where can you get the console chipped.
Thanks
dvorak

TBH I'd just use Google, my Wii isn't chipped and I don't want to post any links in case it's seen as any kind of recommendation or endorsement!
The drives are:
      LG-8164b
      LG-8163b
      LG-8162b
      LG-8161b
Customer / Moderator
Lurker
Grafter

Don't forget of course that chipping your Wii will invalidate any remaining warranty (if applicable)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I once chipped a Play Station and the soldering was akin to brain surgery Crazy
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dgreen007
Grafter

Is chipping the Wii going to allow any backed up game to work on it - even someone else's backed up game?
dvorak

Now I think you encroaching into legally dubious ground..
Customer / Moderator
dgreen007
Grafter

I didn't think it was illegal for a friend to bring over his backed up game to play on my console.
In fact that would be the most sensible thing to do incase his original got damaged in transit.
Cheesy
dvorak

that's why they come in plastic cases  Wink
Customer / Moderator
dgreen007
Grafter

So I suppose that would guarantee that they never get damaged - wow ! no need to back them up now. This will put all those back up facilities out of business - you swine  Huh
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

A few points regarding the legal questions some of you may be wondering about:
Point 1 - it's actualy illegal for your friend to bring his original game round to your house and play it in your company never mind a backup.  This is an old and and antiquated rule going right back to audio tapes.  It's what that disclaimer that is still at the start of every DVD (you know, the one that no one ever reads) relates to.  when you buy any form of entertainment media it is part of the terms of use that it is for private and home use only.  That meens your home and not your friends by the way.  It also streaches as far as to prohibit you having your friends over to watch/play said media unless you have a broadcasting licence and permission from the copyright holder.
Point 2 - Point 1, though legaly accurate, is fortunately never ever enforced, which is just as well otherwise we would probably all be liable for prosecution.  I know that personaly I have had countless ocasions of having friends round to play Teken and the such, not to mention loned out numerous DVD's to friends and family.
Point 3 - it is perfectly legal to create a backup copy of any media that you have purchased, up to a maximum of two backups per purchased item.  Software manufacturers know this and, on some very rare ocassions, have been known to even mail out a second copy of a game on presentation of proof of purchase, when enough of a stink was raised about copy protection (although this has so far as I know been restricted to the US).
and, on a slightly less related note:
Point 4 - You are legaly entitled, as part of your statutory rights, to evaluate anything -prior to purchase- for a maximum period of 24hours. so if you download/get a copy of a film, application, audio CD that you did not buy, you have a 24hour window of legal use before you are obliged to destroy it.
It is because of point 3 that Sony and Nintendo can and will only sting you for the voiding of waranty.  But to be honest, way back in the day, I got my PSX chiped the day after I got it, and it's still working 12 years on.
hope this is usefull
scootie
Grafter

1 easy soultion.
take disc out case put in drive.
take out drive put back in case
in between these 2 steps DO NOT use the disk as a cup coaster, frisibe disc ect ect.  Crazy
dgreen007
Grafter

Thanks Muppetgrinder - very interesting.
Do you know what the best chip would be for the Wii and also is it possible to play DVDs on the Wii.
Asbo Dog - obvioulsy you don't have children or if you do then u obviously don't let them play with any game consoles because if you did then you'll know exactly how discs get damaged !
I've got three boys who have been well trained in how to handle the disc but believe me they still manage to drop/scratch and sometime totally trash them.
When the day comes when an indestructable disc is made, let me know and I'll happily buy one.
dvorak

Game offer a disc repair service, have you tried that with COD?
Customer / Moderator