Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest on FTTP?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Latest on FTTP?

@Alex wrote:
I've noticed some x's sprayed on the pavement with the letters 'BT' so something is going on around my sisters way. She doesn't live far from me (a 45 minute walk), so I wonder what they may be doing.

This might help you decipher some of the hieroglyphics @Alex 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26745534

EDIT:  From that article;

And finally, we discover the location of that long-lost GP, Dr Ian.  Cheesy

And finally, we discover the location of that long-lost GP, Dr Ian.And finally, we discover the location of that long-lost GP, Dr Ian.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Alex wrote:
I've noticed some x's sprayed on the pavement with the letters 'BT' so something is going on around my sisters way. She doesn't live far from me (a 45 minute walk), so I wonder what they may be doing.

If OpenReach are planning street works then there should be a notifcation on-line. Don't have the address but there is a website listing all planned streetworks (here in Scotland we have a our own web site)

Brian

RRM
Rising Star

We have had markings on the pavements for months, nothing has happened. The markings have almost all faded away now as well. 

Hope you get action faster than we have.

R

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

The first that we knew about going full-fibre streets was the Openreach vans and their subcontractors opening up the GPO marked covers on the pavement and reels of fibre cable and blue rope Cheesy I had to ask an Openreach guy what he was doing and he said, "Making the internet lightning-fast, its the future and up to 900Mbps"

RRM
Rising Star

🤣

It's like when we got fibre (FTTC), I was so excited to be catching up with my colleagues, only to learn that they were ordering FTTP (300/30). I am sure when they finally get round to completing the fibre install in our areas, the next thing will be out! - 10Gb connectivity maybe?

R

barnyandpippa
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Until we reach the limits of speed that can physically be carried over fibre, the line plant investment should be sound and upgrading will be a case of replacing the equipment on the ends.

Who would have thought 140 years ago that laying copper cables would provide access to a network that would ultimately allow subscribers to connect their computers on others on the opposite side of the world?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@barnyandpippa that is so true, the bottleneck with full fibre is now our kit. I'm on a BT 100 which is constant and stable at 150 down and 30 up on a line. On WIFI it's less  but I upgraded my main Windows desktop PC and now my WIFI is 150 down and 30up too! Shocked

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

I see that Openreach is doing lots of wire to fibre conversions around me going up the pole. These reel holders seem to attract a lot of attention from people who that they are dumped as the Engineers are not parked in the street, so are not always visible. IMG_20211116_105328.jpgIMG_20211116_105355.jpg

probedb
Rising Star

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. Just been informed we can now get full fibre, what are plusnet doing as to get it I'll have to switch providers.
ciderboy
Rising Star

@probedb Don't hold your breath waiting for Plusnet to bring out a FTTP offering.  It was supposed to be this Autumn but there's still nothing 😞

I gave up waiting after two years.  Plusnet were very good and let me end my contract early providing that I remained within the BT Group.

Once my initial 24 months with BT are complete I'll probably come back to Plusnet (if they've got an FTTP offering by then) but I'm just so glad that I gave up on them - going from 5 meg down/ 1 meg up to a constant 80 meg down/20 meg up has been great.  Particularly as I know that I can switch to 900 meg downloads if ever I need to 🙂

dgp
Rising Star

Sadly a lot of us are in that position. My contract runs out in February and unless we have a date for FTTP I’m going to have to go elsewhere. We now have Virgin Media available so might go to them as they are cheaper than any of the Openreach offerings.
SteveA
Pro

@ciderboy - at least you have the option to jumping to another part of the BT family. Im in the situation, like many others, that BTOR have basically walked away and have no plans to move us off FTTC - leaving VM or Youfibre as the only alternatives.

ciderboy
Rising Star

The difference though is that, despite living 2 miles from the centre of Bristol, I didn't have FTTC as an option - only ADSL at around 5-6meg download speeds.

It's literally just our street that has FTTP around here so I'm probably lucky - although the years I put up with not having FTTC make up for that.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@ciderboy 

The last any mention was made for FTTP was "by end of January" - thougn no mention was made of which year!

I assume "WBC FTTP" is showing in the left hand column of the checker which confirms availability.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You either have to sit tight for two or three months to see what happens or jump ship to BT (or EE) to get any early termination fees waived.

If you hang around you would get the PlusNet HubTwo - which is a slightly modified BT SmartHub2.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bmc  You should have aimed your post at @probedb who would like to get FTTP, @ciderboy  already has it.😊