Did you mean: 

Latest on FTTP?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Latest on FTTP?

@goldenfibre wrote:

@Gandalf 

With this site metion of Plusnet Hub Two router will it free upgraded from Hub One to Hub Two for my parents FTTC?

Hub Two - thinking it could be for full fibre customers only! https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-information/

Personally I consider it unlikely PlusNet will be handing out HubTwo's willy nilly - they cost money after all. More likely is they are primarily for new customers and those who re-contract (and perhaps ask?).

Not certain about the SmartHub2 but the BT HH6 had two versions - one for FTTC and one for FTTP.

Brian

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

There's a lot of that round here @RRM - walking down the road near us the pavement is covered in yellow paint round the BT duct covers with "blocked" written by a significantly large number of them, So I'm wondering if that's why we're now on the "not going to happen" list.

bmc
Hero

@SteveA 

Surely if they're marking up the pavements it's for reference when the work crews turn up - though that may be some time in the future.

Brian

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I might be sounded silly but why don't it get blocked in the first place and what caused blocked?

bmc
Hero

@goldenfibre

If it's a very old duct then potentially it might have collapsed but more likely it's silt being washed in after heavy rain. So long as the phone lines (and now fibre) are OK then OpenReach won't know about it until they try and do work in that section of duct.

When the local install was done for my FTTP the taem checked 5 house ducts to confirm they were clear. Four passed first time and one had a blockage. However when the tried from the chamber itself they were able to feed a draw rope through.

The 4 clear ducts were on a slope - the blocked duct ran horizontally across the street.

Brian

RRM
Rising Star

Ducts are about 30 years old now, estate was built in 1991. The problem ones have been crushed. The council installed some pillars on the payment (there’s a sharp corner leading on to our estate) and when whoever installed these, they crushed the ducts and filled them with tarmac.

Luckily all our phone lines weren’t affected.

There are only 88 houses on our estate, so not priority for #openreach.

R

dgp
Rising Star

Queue big argument between Openreach, council and contractor about who pays for sorting it out!

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Hopefully the 'perpetrator' will pay, but I suspect that's not always the case.

IMO there are far too many instances of 'cowboy' operators who get away with taking shortcuts when 'making good' (an oxymoron?) after they've 'completed' (another oxymoron?) their task.

barnyandpippa
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Did the Council install posts because people were driving over the corner and crushing the ducts or did they install posts where there wasn't a problem and cause a problem in the process?

RRM
Rising Star

They installed the posts to stop cars going on to the curb and in to the field which has a sharp dip. We had a few cars in the snow do it, some drivers took the corner too fast.

Never been a problem in the summer. We used to have a grit box many years ago, that got taken away and the posts installed.

R
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Around my area, in London, were getting some really good FTTP offers at the moment from BT the same deals, either with or without a landlineSmitten

With landlineWith landlineWith landlineWith landline

SteveA
Pro

lucky you @Leapy - I'm stuck on a gradually decreasing speed FTTC (used to be about 53 a year ago, now 38) with even youfibre basically giving up on fibre installs in the area.

Then I hear adverts from BT on the Radio boasting about their basically gigabit service (and then admitting that it covers less than 15% of the population).

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

If you live in a CityFibre area, Vodafone Pro 900 is £30 per month currently half price sale. Or for £34pm also get an Apple TV 4k box, free phone calls and no price rise for 2 years included.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've noticed some x's sprayed on the pavement with the letters 'BT' so something is going on around my sisters way. She doesn't live far from me (a 45 minute walk), so I wonder what they may be doing.
SteveA
Pro

@Alex - where there yellow lines and arrows too?