cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre down

CTFU75
Grafter

Re: fibre down

I spotted this today Anotherone. It seems there is still doubt about how to tell if an ECI cabinet has it activated downstream also. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/4457743-wireless-broadband-advice-asus-and-billion.html?f...
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp ( Is this also refering to both types of cabs or just Huawei (Wah-Way)  and only via a Billion.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

To sort out any confusion, this was in the previous ISPreview article
Openreach G.INP Briefing to ISPs
* Retransmission can operate in both downstream and upstream channels simultaneously, although ECI equipment (either modems or DSLAMS) doesn’t currently support upstream retransmission.

The 2nd article could be misleading. Those Billions aren't the only vDSL compatible modem/routers that are G.INP compatible on downstream and upstream. However, like the ECI modems, the BT HH5A and the Plusnet Hub One (a re-badged HH5A with some BT things removed) are only G.INP compatible on the downstream. The HH5B is compatible on the downstream and upstream. There are others.
You should be able to tell from your stats that it's enabled, but that speed improvement you got I guess is conclusive.
CTFU75
Grafter

I had a power outage tonight. What is the procedure with the Billion Anotherone. Do I still disconnect within Billion or allow this to reconnect on it's own and when not using Open Reach modem.
CTFU75
Grafter

2 powers outages tonight and just back on again before midnight. Unusual feature of my old midi tuner, is the clock cuts out with the exact time of a power cut and blinks it out until reset.
all other manual adjustable digital clocks would blink 00:00 in their display, like on my oven tonight and I have to manually reset it. Most clocks now immediatlety reset on tv boxes leaving you unaware there even was a power outage.
Just checked router after outage I have internet connection at the moment.
CTFU75
Grafter

Am I actually better off during a power outage with an all in one modem/router than the open reach modem during this spate of electical outages. (again 1pm)
Anotherone
Champion

It shouldn't make any difference.
CTFU75
Grafter

Would any changes in rj11 cable to the mastersocket help the sync and increase it again in the Billion stats.
A surge protector has been removed from any new VDSL master sockets that are fitted for FTTC users and is supposed to help.
The wall socket lead end could be fitted with a rj45 not rj11 and also be a twisted pair data cable, is this worth doing over the cheap flat provided.
elfish
Grafter

It may or may not, and if it did it probably wouldn't be drastic.
I use one of these just for peace of mind than anything else:
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/electronics/telecoms-dsl/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-1m.html
They do different lengths as well.
CTFU75
Grafter

I noticed that my homeplugs were doing worse than the Wifi as I had replaced all the original Cat5e cable supplied by D-link and Devolo as the rj45 heads break so easy and didn't hold in any more.  It seems these older cables were thicker and better than what I have replaced them with from ebay.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Zooming in on the ends of that "ADSL Nation Pro+" cable, it looks like it contains 4 different coloured wires, more like an ordinary cable, less like a cable containing colour coded pairs, although it is difficult to tell from the picture. I suppose it's possible the red and green wires are twisted round each other, but "twisted to provide protection against crosstalk" - crosstalk from what? In case you had 2 VDSL2 lines, and connected one line to the inner pair and one to the outer pair of the same RJ11 plug? I think they may have overdone the description a bit.  Not oxygen free though? Tongue
Anotherone
Champion

You are right, they have slightly overcooked the description, but the fact that the cable is twisted pair is the important bit. I doubt that they'd be claiming that if it were untrue, they'd be liable for a hefty fine under the sale of goods act (or whatever it's now called).