cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre down

CTFU75
Grafter

Re: fibre down

Thanks again. Comparing this wireless N to previous routers same spec, it's bettering the ethernet connection (via homeplugs) at the moment (a first). The Billion sync speed is 59988 downstream and on wireless speed tests getting 52-53 on thinkbroadband. Wireless via my andoid phone showing connection sync speed of 65 higher than sync in the router.(Is that very inaccurate in Android wifi settings).
In Plusnet member centre line speed was 52mb for the last 12 months at least, yet since switching my router, the member centre now showing 58mb.
CTFU75
Grafter

Having problems with disabling Automatic router Set Up within Member Centre. It was disabled but now a message keeps preventing checking it's off.
Oops! That didn't work.
It looks like a system error has stopped us from updating your selection. Sorry about that!
Please come back later and give it another go.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Give that a try later, but in any event TR069 will only work with (Modem/)Routers supplied by Plusnet and where the correct serial number is on the system, so it won't affect your Billion.
The 65Mbps connection speed on the phone is that of the wireless connection nothing else.
Your Billion 8800NL is obviously syncing at a faster speed with the Cab than the previous Modem (what was it btw?) to give you the higher profile and Current Line Speed, so that's one good thing.
Do you know what type of Cab you are connected to?
CTFU75
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

That site doesn't retain the data you entered as the url is the same as the main page. If you run the DSL checker and just post the exchange name and Cab number it should be possible to look it up if it isn't obvious from looking at it. Was it an ECI modem as well?
I was already thinking that the increase in sync speed you've got was down to G.INP being active which it probably wasn't previously.
(The Billion is fully compatible with G.INP)
CTFU75
Grafter

Is it possible to moved from one cab to another by Open Reach Engineer
Anotherone
Champion

It seems it should be an ECI cab. There are very few Huawei ones in the area.
CTFU75
Grafter

Newport Chartist 12 and Caerleon Cab 2
Anotherone
Champion

The simple answer is no. Cabs only serve the specific lines for premises connected to the main PCP Cab. As far a I can tell the only Huawei cabs that might be in Newport are those that are planned/installed in postcode areas being covered by BDUK funding. (you realise you've edited reply #200 btw).
CTFU75
Grafter

Should we register interest here.http://www.superfast-cymru.com/home
Anotherone
Champion

You already have FTTC, that is pointless. Unfortunately you are stuck with what you have.
Edit: noting your edit to reply #202, Caerleon Cab 2 is also ECI. I assume you are referring to another line at a different location from the first.
They both serve different postcode areas.
CTFU75
Grafter

Sorry edited the wrong post, the other is for other house. I know, 59.1mbs download 17.42 upload from wireless speed test from my vDSL faceplate and Billion is getting this faster wireless score than a direct connection (mostly 51 52 mbs).
(Using Pusnet DNS servers also).
Billion Rate(Kbs) of 59988 Downstream 20000 Upstream. The Attainable Rate Down 73533 Up 23943. (does this change day to day)
Would a Huawei (Wah-Way) Cab improve again download speed Anotherone. According to Hyperoptic website the upload max on FTTC is 19Mb on copper.
Hyperoptic has requests for fibre optic. Dream on speeds from a Hyperoptic user twitter link. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4797312406
The city centres of Cardiff and Newport seem to be taking orders .(15 requests from your street or postcode) could they get it to the residential areas.
Used the Speedofme tester, like the thinkbroadband doesn't require flash plugin, had to update this again today.
Trying to get the WiFi additional utilities  here, [(at the bottom) url]https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202663[/url] I couldn'tt find it, but the System Report Infomation also does show similar info.
(I have now found the Wireless Diagnostics tool in Core Services after a search. https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/qa/qa1176/_index.html and what it do
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt you'd get a better DS with a Huawei Cab as the original primary issue was G.INP compatibility with ECI stuff, but the DS side has been sorted and the Billion with the latest firmware is fully G.INP compatible. AIUI the ECI Cab US is not compatible with G.INP but I don't see that as a problem to you as you appear to have the max. US sync speed anyway.
The Attainable rate can change throughout the day and from day to day as it depends on the background electrical/electronic/RF noise between you and the Cab, which can and does change. On current FTTC products the max.US is 20Mbps sync speed anyway. But Attainable rates are an estimation by the modem based on current sync speed and noise margins. Without knowing the current noise margin as well as the estimated Attainable rate it would be difficult to say if you could do better on the DS. I would also think that in any event it will be the lowest of any Attainable rate figure that you see over a sustained period that is likely to be stable IF it can be achieved. What DLM thinks of the achieved error figures will probably be the limiting factor.
CTFU75
Grafter

The thinkbroadband and ookla testers are both 7Mb/s slower reading. I tried ookla flash free beta version , it seems to give a faster server and ping than the flash version . It still lower than what I get on speedofme.
Is it a more accurate tester.
Anotherone
Champion

No speedtester is 100% accurate and the results they give will depend not only on how congested your connection is at the time but also the servers hosting the tester. The way your device (computer/phone/etc) handles the media code being used will also impact the results.
The most accurate method is to download files of a known size (such as those on TBB) and the time the download takes gives you the speed. I'd suggest you did these tests at an off-peak time (middle of the night) when you might be assured that capacity/congestion has virtually no effect. You can them compare testers and discover which gives you the best and consistent comparisons for a given device.
Speedtesters are not the best for giving accurate pings and again results can be affected by capacity. You are better using things like pingtest.net for general testing but the best results are usually obtained from running a ping command at a command prompt to a specific server. On Plusnet connections we frequently suggest ntp.plus.net