cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre down

nigel1971
Grafter

Re: fibre down

All 3 lights on the modem lit green, the router are green except the internet light which goes red or off together.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you asked Plusnet why your connection isn't authenticating (or raised a fault)?You might have a stuck stale session, ask them to check that. If not, I'd get on the Chat and ask them. If they say they can't check and you'll have to ring in, I would give them some feedback about why they can't do it and what a waste of customer's time Chat is, and do precisely the same when you get on the phone!
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@nigel1971 I had that issue not that long ago the first time was due to my line being dead no dial tone on the phone ect it took 3 days for it to be sorted, the second time it happened i have no idea what caused it i just wasn't able to connect to the plusnet servers, I tried contacting support via phone but it was a waste of time an hour waiting and no one answered the call so i gave up, turning off the router for a couple of hours seemed to fix it and I was able to connect again.
amcclean
Rising Star

My fibre is down to. Pn can see me on the realm with a ppp session but i have not net. Direct connection works but that is bt servers that pick me up that way so I was told.  All off for an hour and pn have remotely killed  my session.  Here's hoping
nigel1971
Grafter

I've tried directly from the modem and not the router and still no ppp session.
Anotherone
Champion

Tried directly from the Modem? If you have sync with the Cab, you should avoid touching the Modem. Apart from needing sync, the Modem has no influence on your PPP session. Log out of your Internet PPP session by clicking Disconnect in the Router and then switch off the Router for just over the hour.
Contact Plusnet and ask them to kill any stale session(s) that exist.
nigel1971
Grafter

There are no stale sessions in the line.
Anotherone
Champion

So could they give a reason for you not authenticating? Have you tried or been asked to set up and try a PPPoE Dialler on your computer so you can bypass the Router to eliminate that as a possible cause?
Edit: Maybe that's what you meant by reply #184 which I interpreted as meaning switching the modem off.
nigel1971
Grafter

For some reason it has just come back on now for the last 20mins, there was an openreach guy down here this afternoon saying a fault at the cab and also have the manhole cover up on the complex where the phone wires are.  He was dealing with someone else and said it could have affected other people on the complex. It was about 3pm he was here but now nearly 4 hours later my connection has come back on, it went off after 30secs then it came back on again and not a drop in the past 30mins.
I just wonder if it was that affecting me also but if it was then a neighbour could have sorted the rest of us out, ringing plusnet now to see what i do because i currently have an engineer for me tomorrow morning booked
Anotherone
Champion

Don't think I ever asked you whether your phone line was OK, could you hear any crackles or other noises on the line - I should have asked.
nigel1971
Grafter

The phoneline seemed clear and no issue with it, just the internet being funny. I'm for now but it does sem a bit flakey and PN have just told me there is still drops so i'm keeping  the engineer on for tomorrow for checks.
Anotherone
Champion

Good show, hope it all goes well. Make sure he checks your line to the Cab properly.
nigel1971
Grafter

Well it's not good as there are still drops on the line  Angry Angry
CTFU75
Grafter

DNS Problem have changed router to Billion 8800NL. Am not quite sure where to change these with any that have been recommended.
There seems to be 3 places where you can tinker and add them.
On quickstart set up the dns servers automatically come up as Plusnets in the Billion. Even though TR069 client is off by default in Billion. Is this normal Anotherone.
First click (after login) on Configuration and you can type em there and apply them in LAN (I haven 't done so here). There's also a Use Routers Settings as DNS Server with ticked box option.
Then after clicking WAN its shows both ATM Interface where it seems you can edit and apply. Also PTM Interface below edit and apply. (Also get an error message quite often after clicking edit option here.
My iMac Network settings show the router DNS server with the Billion router without me inputing them in imac settings. Old Netgear router didn't show the change like the Billion.
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/uk-isp-dns-server-settings
The recommended google DNS given does it matter which goes as primary.
Anotherone
Champion

Most (modem/)router default settings are to automatically use the ISPs DNS - it's a setting totally independent of TR069, so yes, perfectly normal.
You can use whichever DNS you choose, whether set in a router or on a client device. For Google, 8.8.8.8 is often used as the primary (maybe it has more capacity?) but at the end of the day set whichever you find give you the best responses. They needn't be from the same source either, you can use a mixture eg. one google, one Plusnet.
If you haven't sussed how to change them on the Billion 8800NL, I'm sure someone who has one can advise.