cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

csjkeir
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Back online - thanks @bobpullen.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

@csjkeir, excellent let me know if large uploads are still dropping the connection.

@superfetch, I'm going to put your issues to one side for the time being if that's okay because the symptoms are slightly different to those reported by others. Having said that, if there's anything suspicious that you can wean from your router logs that you think might help then feel free to share.

@Gythral8PNC, from what I can establish, you're not affected by this problem. You're provisioned on an 80mbps product and your connection's been uninterrupted for approaching a fortnight. Feel free to start a separate thread though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gythral8PNC wrote:

It appear my issues are PlusNet engineers randomly changing profiles on their network

20mb/s upload randomly capped at 2mb/s or 4mb/s

Are you seeing changed IP Profile speeds reported by the BT diagnostic speed test or are these changes in the actual speeds you are seeing?

If it's the latter, are you using a wireless connection to the router and if so have you established that you are still seeing the same issues when connected to the router using an Ethernet cable?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
csjkeir
Dabbler

Morning @bobpullen.  Sadly, my connection dropped again this morning after uploading some pictures to WhatsApp via my iPhone 5S.

Regards,

Chris

csjkeir
Dabbler

I have a few more details now...

The drops definitely coincide with uploads. Both my wife and I also use iCloud Photo Library, and shortly after taking a video or some pics, we experience disconnections. It always seems to happen a few minutes after (maybe when the upload finishes?).

This weekend we lost the connection loads-After checking the router log there is a 'send termination request' a few minutes after each upload.

Chris
nickjbyrne
Hooked

Mine was also dropping this weekend, would it be possible to check the radius logs again for my connection please

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@csjkeir wrote:

Morning @bobpullen.  Sadly, my connection dropped again this morning after uploading some pictures to WhatsApp via my iPhone 5S.

Thanks Chris. Does this coincide with when you were uploading? Seems to have been quiet for the last ~13hrs or so, I assume you've not been doing any uploading during that time?

@nickjbyrne wrote:

Mine was also dropping this weekend, would it be possible to check the radius logs again for my connection please

Still looking pretty stable:

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

csjkeir
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen,

Correct - no uploads were taking place overnight.  

tocamak

I'm seeing this problem, and it's infuriating. I'm unable to sync backups between my flat and my parents house because of this issue.

Make/model of router: Sagemcom Plusnet Hub One
Firmware/software version: unknown, I can find out in a few days
Product/speed: Unlimited Fibre 40/2
Gateway: unknown, but the connection is in Cambridge
Uploading/what service using: backup over VPN, using Synology hyper backup and cloud sync.
Problem first started: not sure, but since November 2016 I've noticed drop outs when backups occur.

I've access to a BT HH5, but that's basically the same hardware, right?

I return from holiday on Saturday so can provide further details if they're needed.
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When I was posting in this thread back in October I was on the old network and, try as I might, I couldn't reproduce the fault even though I'm using a Hub One and on the 40/2 package.

In the last few days I seem to have been moved onto the new network and I'm now routing through psb-ir02 (be3-3106.psb-ir02.plus.net). If the theory is correct, I should now be able to crash my connection by uploading large files into the cloud. I'm going to try it, but not for a few days. The connection dropped anyway in the early hours of last Friday and Saturday and again last night (Tuesday), presumably all to do with routing change. I'll wait a few days to make sure it's stable before I try to break it. I'll be using the same laptop, same router, same firmware, same line, same cabinet, same everything else. Nothing will have changed except the gateway.

I'll post again in a few days before I start testing.

biggles
Dabbler

I was seeing the same behaviour just before New Year. I was using Microsoft OneDrive to upload some large files to the Cloud I was seeing reconnects every few minutes.

I'm on Unlimited Fibre 40/2, Plusnet Hub One, Huawei cab, and my connection is normally very stable. My upload was maxing out the 2 Mb upload, then dropping and reconnecting repeatedly.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@tocamak wrote:

If it's a Home Hub 5A, rather than a 5B, then yeah (it will say on the label on the base/back of the device). Regardless, it would be interesting to know whether or not you suffer the same problem?

@bobminors wrote:

When I was posting in this thread back in October I was on the old network and, try as I might, I couldn't reproduce the fault even though I'm using a Hub One and on the 40/2 package.

Speaking of which: @Manticora87, how are you getting on after that change I made the other day?

@bobpullen wrote:
bobpullen wrote:

I can modify a line here in the office to 40/2 and try replicating the issue with a Hub One but it's quite a lot of effort, so want to be sure there are definite commonalities before I do.

One of our test lines has been modified to 40/2 and I'm connected to it using a Hub One (.226 firmware) and a newly created Unlimited Fibre account. It's a wired connection using an up to date Windows 10 box. ECI DSLAM and the line routes via Colindale (PCN).

I have spent the last day or so uploading data to various Cloud locations

--8<--SNIP--8<--

At points, I had three of the above running simultaneously. This has stressed the connection for hours, uploading at the maximum speed and not a single PPP disconnection has been witnessed. 

Pleased (?) to report that we've managed to replicate this issue now on a couple of test lines in the office, both modified to 40/2, ECI cab using a Hub One running the latest .226 firmware.

The condition was triggered by uploading to OneDrive, Google Drive and/or Amazon Drive via their respective web interfaces.

We're continuing to look into the problem (ref: 96703), however do please continue to provide the info requested here if you've stumbled across this thread and are experiencing the same problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Manticora87

@bobpullen thank you for following up. The same day after your fix the connection still dropped when uploading over vpn. However early Monday morning I was running rysnc and hadn't noticed connection dropouts during uploads, the speed averaged 1.8M according to rrdtool. I'm glad you've managed to replicate the issue, I hope your investigations go well, keep us posted as I'm sure you will!

semitone440
Dabbler

I'm also experiencing this problem. My repeated attempts yesterday to upload a 150MB video to Google Drive, Box.com and Facebook all failed at about the 40 to 50MB mark, with the router light turning red and its log confirming a PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received].

I'm also on Unlimited Fibre 40/2 with a Plusnet Hub One router, software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226, connected to gateway psb-ir01. Both my Windows 10 desktop and XP laptop exhibit the same problem.

Anthony

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobpullen wrote:

@tocamak wrote:

If it's a Home Hub 5A, rather than a 5B, then yeah (it will say on the label on the base/back of the device). Regardless, it would be interesting to know whether or not you suffer the same problem?

I've now tried replicating the issue using a Home Hub 5A running 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11. Same circuit, same PPP login credentials, same files being uploaded to the same destinations and the line doesn't drop.

We're exploring a few avenues of enquiry and as soon as I've anything tangible to share, I'll let you know...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team