cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low quality netflix (Netflix asked me to contact ISP)

andy499
Grafter

Re: Low quality netflix (Netflix asked me to contact ISP)

I spoke to [CSA Removed] at support.

This has been fixed by changing my IP.

There are certain IPs that your router will connect to that have reduced data transfer, unfortunately I was on one of these.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

This article suggests it can help you determine if this is happening to you so I'd recommend a read.

makkurokurosuke
Dabbler

Thank you @Mook, that was very helpful. I did the test that specifically targeted Netflix and I got a download of 250Kbps, as opposed to the 70Mbps that I get with any other service. I guess I have an unlucky IP as well then that needs to be changed. 

Livia83
Hooked

I've been having the same issues with Netlix since yesterday. I have a wireless Amazon Fire Stick and a Wired Smart TV. The Netflix build in app via wired connection is running at no highter than 270p. Shows also take a long time to load. The same issue is happening via wireless on my Fire Stick. 

Other streaming services are running fine. Speedtests on Fast.com and other sites are running at expected speeds.

makkurokurosuke
Dabbler

@Livia83 welcome to the club! I'm yet to find the solution to this... the issue lasts today. Well, now if there are three of us, it is clearly an issue with Plusnet...

Livia83
Hooked

@makkurokurosuke Yep, issue is still happening for me. My general connection is ok to other services such as Twitch, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc.

I tried watching something a little while ago and left the "info" on the top left. It didn't get above 720p, it was mostly streaming at 270p/480p along with terrible sound. 

andy499
Grafter

I have posted the solution for this already

Call support and they will change your IP, this is what’s causing it, certain rented IPs are not allowing high data transfers
ldwoodward

Having the exact same issue described. Is there any way to fix the IP issue without a call to support?

andy499
Grafter

No, not if you have a Plusnet router
Jimbob1
Dabbler

Poor Netflix bitrate since last Friday

Firstly I've been a Plusnet customer for a few years and have had great service throughout. 

Since last Friday (31st July) my Netflix and Amazon Prime connection has been extremely poor. The bitrate is constantly lower than my connection should be showing and often shows do not even start; or if they do they fluctuate between ok and blocky and unwatchable. 

Connection tests show I'm at between 33Mbps and 65Mbps depending on time of day. Other websites and YouTube are ok.

Netflix / Amazon Prime are having no issues (I can demonstrate this by connecting via my phone's 4G signal instead). 

It appears to me that Plusnet is throttling the traffic. If so, I will be looking to move to another supplier asap because that is unacceptable. 

makkurokurosuke
Dabbler

Anyone called Plusnet yet to sort this?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Poor Netflix bitrate since last Friday

There's another thread with much the same issue reported

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ldwoodward

Yep, definitely IP address problem. Changing IP address can be attempted manually by turning router on and off (and unplugging?). Sometimes it will change after a couple of minutes, sometimes you’ll need to leave it off for an hour or so. Might be worth trying that (checking your IP each time) before calling. They can also change you onto a static IP address but there is a charge for that.
makkurokurosuke
Dabbler

@ldwoodward Have you successfully managed to change it?

ldwoodward

Yes. After a couple of phone calls it’s changed and netflix is working again.