Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV6 Activated?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

IPV6 Activated?

This morning my broadband was showing connected but no internet, lights good on BT Huawei Modem, showed in sync etc.

Looked at my TP-Link TD-W9980 Modem Wi-Fi Router (I run it in Router mode through supplied BTO modem) and noticed that it was showing an IPv6 PPPoEv6 WAN connection as well as the usual PPPoE connection.

I have always operated my modem with IPv6 turned off, odd that turned on.

Are you/ BT Openreach experimenting with IPv6 or is it just a glitch?

Will leaving Ipv6 on make my connection unstable?

15 REPLIES 15
tibs01
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: IPV6 Activated?

mine isnt showing ipv6 i hope they do enable it soon

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm afraid we have no plans for it at this moment in time -Matt

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@danludlow wrote:

Are you/ BT Openreach experimenting with IPv6 or is it just a glitch?

The core BT OR Network has been fully IPv6 compatible for a few years now and is in regular use by other ISP's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

iandhjolliffe
Dabbler

Wish I'd known this when I switched from Sky. Shoudln't have taken it for granted. Oh, well, back to sky when my contract ends.

iotola

It is possible to get around the fact Plusnet are well behind the curve on IPv6 support by using a dd-wrt based router.

dd-wrt (and I expect also open-wrt) can be setup to use a hurricane electric ipv6 tunnel, see this link for setting this up dd-wrt.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/IPv6%2C_6in4_tunnel_-_GUI_only

I have this running on my setup and so I now have full ipv6 support on my home network and I am on Plusnet...

PAPED
Dabbler

HE tunnels work on OpenWrt also. However the issue I found with HE tunnels in the UK is that the IPv6 addressing is US based so Netflix, ITV apps and others will geo block, leading to yet more workarounds being needed. Where if it was native to Plusnet the IPv6 address would be UK based and avoid this.

MPC
Grafter

Hi Paped,

With the HE tunnels, you can actually specify which city you would like your tunnel to be terminated in.  Quoting from www.tunnelbroker.net:

Ability to create your tunnel on geographically diverse tunnel-servers (Dubai, Sydney, Ashburn, Calgary, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Fremont, Honolulu, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, New York, Palo Alto, Phoenix, San Jose, Seattle, Toronto, Winnipeg, Amsterdam, Berlin, Budapest, Frankfurt, Lisbon, London, Paris, Prague, Stockholm, Warsaw, Zurich, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Bogota, Djibouti City, and Johannesburg)

So to get UK-geolocated IP6, you should be able to select the London site.

Hope that helps,

Mark

PAPED
Dabbler

I was setup on London, the problem is the all HE tunnels use IPv6 addressing provided from ARIN (the American Internet Registry) so to geoblockng if they just use the IPv6 address as the basis for blocking its seen as US based and UK services are blocked.

MPC
Grafter

Thanks Paped!

I learnt something new.  I imagine that the netflix app on my TV can't be using IP6 then as I haven't seen any content blocking here.

Cheers,

Mark

bsmith1
Dabbler

When is it going to be available ?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@bsmith1 I'm afraid that we have no plans to offer this at this moment in time

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ip_guy

Hi, a few months have now gone by now, and I'd be really interested to know whether Plusnet have gotten any nearer to progressing with the all important adoption of IPv6? Useful reading for anyone here that may be interested in this topic: https://whatismyipaddress.com/ipv6-ready

Tags (4)
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@ip_guy,

No roll out plans for IPV6 currently (or at least nothing that the support team have been made aware of). As soon as we adopt it there will likely be a Community Announcement. 

Mac-bug

Hi,

so 4 months later ..... any progress on IPv6 from Plusnet?

Tags (1)