Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues?

HighChaparral

Re: DNS Issues?

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the answers.
I decided to dig a bit further.
I ran nslookup 1000 times on three different addresses and timed the results (unix: for i in {1..1000}; { time nslookup www.bbc.co.uk; } 2>&1 | grep real > plusnetdnsBBC.txt)
Using Google's DNS:

www.bbc.co.uk Average: 0.021ms Max: 0.039ms
www.twitter.com Average: 0.021ms Max: 0.036ms
www.google.co.uk Average: 0.022ms Max: 0.616ms

Using Plusnet's DNS:

www.bbc.co.uk Average: 0.046ms Max: 5.040ms
www.twitter.com Average: 0.046ms Max: 5.039ms
www.google.co.uk Average: 0.032ms Max: 5.034ms

As you can see there is at least one 5 second+ delay during each 1000 queries for each address using Plusnet's DNS.
What's causing this?
To reiterate: I'm using the Hub One on Plusnet Fibre.
The difference between using Plusnet's DNS and Google's is night and day in real world web browsing.
To illustrate: after I finished testing Plusnet's DNS, I forgot to set my computer's DNS back to 8.8.8.8 (Google).
I opened up a webpage and realised, with the progress bar stuck at halfway, that I had indeed forgotten.
The very second I changed the setting back, the webpage completed loading in the background.
Any ideas?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@BrightonRock
Hi Michael. You'll still have the problem with the Spoofing in certain circumstances, but you just don't see it manifest itself in the same way. If you've had the Firmware upgrade pushed to you, then as I understand it, Plusnet are pushing the fix to the same customers.
You can do the fix yourself, as I detailed in this post.
This next bit can apply to anyone really -
If you are not upto playing with Telnet, there is actually a slightly simpler way BUT you must use a plain text editor.
Do the Backup as I indicated in that linked post. Once saved, make a copy of it under a different name - just in case you mess up a copy.
Then Edit the file using a plain text editor such as Notepad in Windows, search for WANDown. You should find it in the [ dnss.ini ] section where (unless the fix has already been applied) it should say WANDownSpoofing=enabled. Then replace the  enabled  with  disabled  and then save the edited file. Then use the edited file to Restore the configuration to the TG582n.
Note, I would advise everyone to do a Configuration Backup anyway as it saves any customisation that you may have made yourself, as well as this fix which is not permanent should you ever do a factory reset. Plusnet may or may not, do a further firmware upgrade to make the fix permanent, but that doesn't include your own customisation of course.
BrightonRock1
Grafter

@Anotherone
Thank you. I'm sure that this very clear advice will also be of help to others.
I lose track (I should keep notes) but I think that I have had this firmware since I got fibre so, whatever harm it is doing to me, I hadn't noticed. That said, I'll probably still edit the config file while running under Win 7 and certainly if I change to Win 10.
Michael
everpool

@bob
Bob could i please have the update, seems im having the same problem.
Online assistant is still off and i have already been sat on the phone 40 mins.
What happened to raise a ticket...
Anotherone
Champion

Tickets? Have a look here!
bleachedsmiles

Hi, how do I get the firmware update? as I seem to be having the same problems as a lot of you guys where over the past few weeks now web pages are constantly timing out in their attempt to load, or loading incomplete (missing jpegs etc), and apps (netflix, amazon etc) are dropping connection. I've a Technicolor TG582n also.
greswolde

Hi Bob,
Having now run with the update for a few days, I'm sorry to report that I still have the same issues. These manifest themselves as variable delays in loading pages, to the point where sites time out on occasions, even though my connection speed is excellent. Some sites seem much more prone to issues than others (Google, BBC, NS&I for example) and those with multiple pictures/adverts tend to be the worst.
It's definitely not my PC or browser (there are other PCs using different browsers on the same connection & these have the same issue) and it's not the router itself (I have a spare). I was therefore interested to read HighChaparral's note above suggesting that it may possibly be an issue with Plusnet's DNS.
Any further advice or guidance you can offer in trying to get to the bottom of this would be much appreciated.
Regards
Mike
pauljeffer
Hooked

to Anotherone, thanks for the config changes, so far they appear to have worked.
But surely this is not something that customers should have to be messing about with and sorting out. This issue is something that should have been resolved by Plusnet a long time ago.
Anotherone
Champion

I totally agree with you, however it appears they've needed a touch of convincing, and only their recent Faux pas has brought the issue to a head  Roll_eyes
They are supposedly pushing the "correction" out to the same customers that had the update, but that of course seems to take time Sad
@greswolde
Please do three things which may be of help.
Does your TG582n have a USB socket on it? It should have as you are on Fibre. Log in to the TG582n and see what firmware version it actually has.
Also back up the Configuration as I explained in reply #151 and check the entry for WANDownSpoofing= .  If it doesn't say disabled then the fix did not take.
If you wish to apply it yourself, ensure you are using a plain text editor.
If the fix did take, then there may be another issue and the first two questions may help with narrowing down the issue.
greswolde

Hi Anotherone,
Thanks for your reply - various points in response:
1. Yes, my Technicolor router does have a USB port
2. Software release is 10.2.5.2
3. Yes, following your earlier post, I did as suggested and checked the config file after the fix had been applied (a day or two ago). However, WANDown spoofing was still enabled  which suggests that, for whatever reason, the fix didn't take. I therefore edited the file with Notepad, uploaded the revised version and re-checked to make sure that WANDown spoofing was disabled. However, going back this afternoon, I now find that it's enabled again - I don't understand how this can have happened? Anyway, I've just repeated the exercise and it's now definitely disabled so I hope it stays that way!
Thanks again for the advice/help to date - much appreciated
Regards
Mike
Anotherone
Champion

Did you remember to "Restore" the edited Config back to the TG582n? (AO rushes to check he mentioned it).
Edit: Yes I did mention it and re-reading your post you look as though you did Restore. Try it again, but try Restarting (that's a Reboot) after the Restore if it doesn't do it by itself. Note - Factory Reset will remove the fix, it's not a permanent thing at present.
greswolde

Hi Anotherone,
Thanks for your further post. I'm pretty certain that I did restart the router the first time round but you do begin to doubt your own memory after a while! Anyway, to make doubly certain, I've rechecked the config file, confirmed that spoofing is disabled, have then rebooted the router and rechecked - all ok.
Initial indications are that this hasn't solved the issue (e.g. have just tried & failed to load the main BBC site - 'failed to find server' - but then it loaded ok shortly afterwards?). I'll see if I find any improvement over the weekend but, if not, I'm a bit stuck for where to go next.
Your help & advice are much appreciated in any event - thanks again
Regards
Mike
bawatson

Bob
I'm having similar problems with some pages taking 20 seconds to refresh and others being instant.  I'm using Firefox on Mac and also have the same problems on iPad.  It may be the lack of router update config causing the problem.  My line speeds are good (37 Mbps) and the issue occurs with various sites.  Can you send me the router config remotely if you think it will solve my problem?
Thanks
RN1

Hi,

Changing the WANDownSpoofing in USER.INI to disabled seems to have resolved my issue. However I'm wondering if changing this setting opens up the router to hacking attacks. Should I be concerned?

Anotherone
Champion

Hi again RN1. No changing this setting does not open up the router to hacking attacks, there is no need to be concerned.
At least one other iSP that uses this router has never had WANDownSpoofing enabled since firmware version 8.4.4.J at least and possibly before that with 8.4.4.I .