cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cgi form email script not working (404)

cyberdynesystem

Re: cgi form email script not working (404)

I have noticed that I now have an extra setting under my account, website settings: plusnet hosting (cgi), of course that takes me to the same log in page linked above. Under user name it indicates using the email address, so I've tried that too but can't log in still, not sure what else to try, but feel I'm really close if like Irien above I can get the help to log in and get access.
Hopefully it won't be long before its resolved, thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: cyberdynesystems
I have noticed that I now have an extra setting under my account, website settings: plusnet hosting (cgi), of course that takes me to the same log in page linked above. Under user name it indicates using the email address, so I've tried that too but can't log in still, not sure what else to try, but feel I'm really close if like Irien above I can get the help to log in and get access.

It looks like it is your email address you'll need to use to log in. I've tried at this end and it does work. You'll need to use the email address you have registered here.
Hope that helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cyberdynesystem

Yes it did help! Many thanks, just need to figure out how to use this new control panel!!  Wink
gandb
Dabbler

I've only just noticed the problem (cgi form email script not working ) on our website and just read this topic. Am I right to conclude that:

• The problem is unlikely to be resolved ; ie http://homepages.plus.net/cgi-bin/form won't be available in future

• The only option is to move my website to the cgi platform and set up my own email script

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm unable to say at present whether the problem will or won't be resolved and there is a possibility it won't. It's a question of security and how much work is involved to 'fix' the scripts versus removing content from the website and communicating to customers who are using them.
I'm sorry it's taking so long to arrive at that decision Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Hi Bob,
Is the security issue in the platform or the email script from 'Matts Script Archive'?
If the latter, is it just PlusNET's implementation, as this script is somewhat generic, widely used and if implemented individually on the new cgi platform is just going to perpetuate the issue.
Not fixing it will be another nail in the coffin of PlusNET no longer offering webspace within what used to be stunningly good internet packages.  I have just noticed that web space has now been dropped from the business packages too, which means that i can no longer recommend this as a good all round package, to a new business start-up venture.  It had everything they required - internet, phone, email, small amount of web space, domain name hosting and a web to email script... half of the value-add is gone.
Very disappointing!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Long story short, the script was disabled following the Shellshock advisory. Our Security Team need some time to evaluate what's required to re-enable these scripts. As I'm sure you can understand, they've been pretty busy of late! I'll try and give somebody a nudge about it.
Edit: Forgot to mention, Business products *do* come with a webspace entitlement.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Bob,
Thank you fir the clarification on the business packages - it is not obvious any more on the package 'headlines' - on rechecking I find it is now hidden under "All inclusive features"!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cyberdynesystem

Quote from: gandb
I've only just noticed the problem (cgi form email script not working ) on our website and just read this topic. Am I right to conclude that:

• The problem is unlikely to be resolved ; ie http://homepages.plus.net/cgi-bin/form won't be available in future

• The only option is to move my website to the cgi platform and set up my own email script

I've left my website in its original place, just edited the form to show the scripts new location in my cgi bin (matts form mail script). Had to set the form script up also, not straight forward at first but i've done it now
richux

Re your withdrawal of the form script. This is a much-needed feature for many of the more serious websites you host. My own website requires it for applications for our music festival in spring, which are now beginning to build. The alternative for the customer is to make up their own email (which is confusing and error-prone), or to print a form, fill in by hand, and snailmail it. My automatic processing of the emails received here cannot then be used.
There is an alternative: the nms project  at http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net has the script nms formmail. This is recommended by the author of  the form script, and is provided instead of form by a number of ISPs word-wide. It is obviously more complex to set up, but I assume the many extra security features will harden it against  spammer or hacker. I do not know if any of these have been incorporated into your form script.
Richard
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Richard,
Quote from: richux
There is an alternative: the nms project  at http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net has the script nms formmail. This is recommended by the author of  the form script, and is provided instead of form by a number of ISPs word-wide. It is obviously more complex to set up, but I assume the many extra security features will harden it against  spammer or hacker. I do not know if any of these have been incorporated into your form script.

Not sure if this is a customer recommendation or a recommendation for us/Plusnet? If the former, then it's not going to work on our Homepages servers because it requires the ability to run server side scripts which is unsupported by the platform.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

richux

Hi Bob.
Yes, a suggestion that PlusNet replace the out-of-date form script by formmail.
I know this does not solve the old-version bash problem, but plugs a few email exploits!
Richard
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Richard, we'll consider it.
For the record, bash is patched, the situation has put a bit of a security spotlight on the Homepages scripts though (I don't think many people knew they were there). Some decisions still need to be made, really sorry it's taking so long! Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

barryf2001

Hi Bob,
Can I add my support for Richard's suggestion that PlusNet provides a new script to replace the old one please? Leaving my website with an apologetic note that "we're waiting for the hosting system to put things right: email instead of using the form" isn't a nice solution when it's being going on so long! The old form wasn't brilliant and I'd be quite happy to install a replacement from PlusNet.
Incidentally, was the 'visit counter' also a security threat? If not, can that be put back?
Thanks, Barry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Barry, the situation with the visitor counter is the same as that with the form script. A decision will be made regarding both of them at the same time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team