Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

being moved to Digital Voice

stuck
Rising Star

Re: being moved to Digital Voice

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

...You should be able to keep your legacy items on a new contract.

I agree but I'm not confident the legacy features won't first disappear and then only reappear after many emails and probably a long topic in the relevant bit of this community forum 🙄

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@stuck  If you want to keep your legacy features you don't really have any other option. So what's your Plan B.🤔

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@stuck
I suspect that once the legacy features are wound down they won't return. Plusnet regard features like email and hosting as a pro bono add on and as such are under no obligation to provide them on an ongoing basis.
If anyone needs to secure the future of such services for themselves, they should be planning to move them away from Plusnet's platform sooner rather than later.
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baldrick1 wrote:

My hope is that one of the experienced agents comes along and advises.

... unless competent advice is forthcoming allaying these fears ... ...

@Baldrick1  do you have ANY confidence that Plusnet has ANYONE capable of sorting out their self-created mess ?

If Plusnet management hadn't been so short-sighted and by now had got some solution to moving customers to VoIP (either internally hosted, or by agreement of an external supplier - as they used to have with Gradwell), then none of of this thread would be a problem.

I can't see that any "experienced agent" can fix this situation at this late stage (before the BTW copper "stop sell" deadline), because Plusnet have failed to provide the infrastructure or process to allow customers to retain their long held telephone numbers AND broadband AND Plusnet email addresses.

If Plusnet's ONLY solution is to allow customers to move to BT (that can provide broadband AND "digital voice") without having to pay early contract exit fees,  then I can see many people who dislike how BT operate simply jumping ship and taking their broadband and phone numbers to another ISP who can provide continuity of broadband and phone service.

Davey76
Grafter

It seems that BT Group PLC governs BT Ltd, EE, Plusnet and Openreach. So would this mean that BT Group PLC is a different entity to BT Ltd?  I have therefore directed my issue to BT Group PLC and not BT Ltd. nor Plusnet. I await with interest the director's reply.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Anonymous 

What I was referring to was a clear statement of how the non standard contract arrangements, such as is the original subject of this topic is going to be handled. 

If by ‘sort out this mess’ you mean Plusnet provide a VoIP service then I fear that you will be disappointed. Generally, I see a clear policy: There is currently no VoIP service from Plusnet. End of current policy. I assume that under contract law customers will be released from their contract if Plusnet can no longer, due to the removal of the landline service by their ‘suppliers’, provide a contracted phone service.

Clearly there is an aim to encourage customers who want to keep their landline phone numbers to transfer to BT, which like it or not, is the easy option likely to be taken up by many of the generation to whom their landline phone is important.

One must assume that Plusnet’s master has taken the loss of some customers into their calculations when making this decision.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stuck
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid 

At the moment I have no Plan B 😃

However, I've just initiated Plan A, I.e. I've just got off the phone to Plusnet and asked them to take over my landline.  The guy I was speaking to says it will happen within 2 weeks.  He also said that my legacy webspace will not disappear.

Hopefully this has bought me some time to figure out what to do in the long term, i.e. after Dec 2025.

Thorn12
Hooked

I have received the BT letter like the original post and also have a legacy product unfortunatly looking at recommended upgrades on" My Plusnet" I am only offered Full Fibre options. (Fibre is available right upto the post outside my house).

So I have to have full fibre.

My landline is supplied by BT.

Reading the posts it seems that if I keep with BT I will lose Plusnet (e-mail webspace etc) not nice. But if I keep Plusnet (upgrading to Full Fibre) and use a third-party VoIP service I am likely to lose my existing phone Number.
Is this correct?

stuck
Rising Star

@Thorn12 wrote:

I .. ...also have a legacy product unfortunatly looking at recommended upgrades on" My Plusnet" I am only offered Full Fibre options. (Fibre is available right upto the post outside my house).

So I have to have full fibre.

No.  I too found that the only options that appeared to be on offer are fibre ones but when I called Plusnet and asked if I could simply add my (existing BT) landline to my existing package I was told yes, and within minutes it was arranged.  A couple of hours and flurry of emails later I've been given a switch over date.

Cost wise it would have been better value (only £1 more per month) if I'd upgraded to fibre, i.e. not stayed with my legacy broadband package, but I don't need any more speed on my connection.  I will still have to address the issue of the analogue phone system being turned off at the end of 2025 but one change at a time seems like a safe and simple process at this stage.  Meanwhile I now have time to figure out the best way for me to deal with that deadline.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Thorn12 

Ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and ask them. This number is usually answered quite quickly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Thorn12
Hooked

@stuck
Thanx I will look into that.
I don't know how that might impact me as my legacy package is out of contract so it will be about £3/month extra if they put me into a contract plus the phone package.
But it may benefit me in the long run

stuck
Rising Star

@Thorn12 

Same here, legacy package and out of contract.  The cost to me has gone up by about £5 per month plus about another £12 for the calls package.  Had I taken the fibre option that would have been another £1 per month.  These extra costs, even including the extra for fibre that I chose not to take, are still less that the land line package I have with BT.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@stuck wrote:

He also said that my legacy webspace will not disappear.

Yet. I expect all legacy products to disappear before too long - keeping them going will cost more than they are worth to Plusnet, not just the technology, but also the staff awareness issues.

Hopefully this has bought me some time to figure out what to do in the long term, i.e. after Dec 2025.

You may not have that long. Dec 25 is when the last PSTN line is shut down. BT are already moving some regions across to DigitalVoice - the first three regions are the East Midlands, Yorkshire & Humberside, and Northern Ireland. So depending on where you live the switch could be anytime from now to Dec 25.

stuck
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 @Thorn12 

The number I found about upgrading or renewing broadband was 0800 432 0200.  It was answered quickly.

stuck
Rising Star

@corringham 

You mean that even though my phone is being moved from BT to Plusnet, my landline will still die as soon as BT switch my region over to 'Digital Voice'?

I got the impression from the posts in this topic that because my landline will not be with BT at that time, it will continue to work until Plusnet pull the plug on their phone packages.