cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Full Fibre available to me? How to tell?

MCC1969
Dabbler

Is Full Fibre available to me? How to tell?

Hi Guys,

As a village cricket club we currently have Plusnet business fibre TTC holding over out-of-contract.

I’ve been attempting to livestream our games to YouTube but it’s a frustrating experience, with marginal upload speeds of 2-4Mbps.

Recently some new apparatus has appeared on the pole in the lane outside our ground. Someone mentioned to me that they believe these are “fibre pods”?

My question is:
a) is this indeed fibre apparatus ready for a connection?
b) how can I best find out if or when a full fibre connection might become available to us?

Thanks very much for any assistance… FTTP would be the answer to my prayers to solve what is a very frustrating experience.
19 REPLIES 19
MCC1969
Dabbler

Re: Is Full Fibre available to me? How to tell?

Sorry, trying to attach or link to my photo album but can’t immediately see how to do this?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@MCC1969 

Put the phone number in here. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
You are looking for the availability of WBC FTTP

To attach a photo select the field next to the camera with the outline of a mountain.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MCC1969
Dabbler

Thanks @Baldrick1 

These are the results I get. How to interpret these?

IMG_2283.png

MCC1969
Dabbler

Now I’ve sussed how to upload photos, this is the pole outside our premises, if that helps!? 

Does this offer any grounds for optimism that a full fibre connection might soon be available? 

IMG_8128.jpegIMG_8133.jpegIMG_8129.jpeg

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@MCC1969 

FTTP is not available to you at the moment.I'm not familiar with the hardware but it looks to me like it's on its way. What do you get when you enter the postcode here?  https://www.openreach.com/broadband-network/fibre-availaility

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@MCC1969 

If or when FTTP becomes available to you you'll see WBC FTTP in the left hand column of the Checker.

Brian

MCC1969
Dabbler

I just get “Not Yet Available” in the postcode checker, I’m afraid. 

MCC1969
Dabbler

Thanks Brian, I’ll keep checking there periodically - useful to know. 

If our existing provider is Plusnet, does this necessarily mean that they will be the first to offer us full fibre? 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MCC1969  There is certainly a fair bit of Full Fibre hardware showing on that pole but it is not showing available on the BT checker. There are a number of possible reasons.

1)  It has been installed by Openreach but is not yet in service, when it becomes available Plusnet will be able to supply but I wouldn't expect them to offer it to you automatically. You may have to check your account to see if an upgrade is available.

2) It is not an Openreach network but an alternative fibre supplier (Alt-net) using Openreach poles in which case Plusnet will not be able to supply, you would need to find out which ISPs use the Alt-net or they may also be an ISP and supply directly.

3) An Openreach database error, do you know if other properties supplied by that pole have FTTP, you can enter the post code in the address version of the BT checker and it will give list of addresses to check. There is an Openreach form to enable you to enquire why FTTP is not available to you but nearby neighbours can get it.

Are there any details visible on the fibre nodes ( the large cylindrical casings) mounted on the poles if you can manage to read them?  Near my location there is an Alt-net installing on Openreach poles and their name is shown. I was wondering why there was no Openreach fibre showing in the area.🤔

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Plenty of fibre apparatus on the pole but I don't see anything 'TTP' related,  i.e. no CBTs seem to be present.

It seems to be fibre which is just 'passing through' ATM.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Leaving aside the question of whether the pole has FTTP equipment on it (well answered by others) you will find that attempting to stream cricket to YouTube with a 2-4Mb/ upstream connection is a very frustrating experience.

If you have a strong mobile network signal I might try that instead.

Start with which physical mobile network has the best indicated signal strength then do some speed tests.

You could then consider which operator on that network to try a data connection on.

In most places I might start by looking at EE or an operator on EE (for example Lyca now they have moved from o2 to EE).

Worth an experiment.

I am the satisfied customer....
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@MCC1969 

Have you checked the OpenReach site as suggested - https://www.openreach.com/

As far as I'm aware it should state if a build is in progress or planned in the near future.

Brian

MCC1969
Dabbler

Thanks @RealAleMadrid I’ll do some further investigation and report back…