Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Webmail (Round Cube) slow performance mitigation

FIXED
bazzer
Pro

Re: Standard Webmail (Round Cube) slow performance mitigation

Regardless of whether it is free, and quite frankly, I don't consider it to be free, as it is part of the suite of products that when I became a customer many years ago, was made available.

PN either offer Webmail or they do not. If you offer the service, then a customer should have a reasonable expectation that it will work without the regular errors that I and others often encounter.

Alternatively, withdraw it completely and accept the risk that customers will take their business elsewhere.

bazzer
Pro

@GioC wrote:

Patience is fine and not a problem in waiting to get something sorted that they are aware of, BUT, when there isn't a fix time and one has this many paying customers with the same problem, then that is not good at all.

@GioC You will wait a long time. This issue has been ongoing for several years at varying levels of severity.

At it's worse is when I'm incited to kick off again!!

bazzer
Pro

@Kelly Are you able to provide any help with the issues I have highlighted?

They still continue today, as they have for a few years now, and despite customers being told to keep their mailboxes to a minimum, I can't even delete the emails in my Trash folder.

This, plus the continuing error messages leaves me spending much wasted time in trying to retrieve email.

Just because PN claim Webmail is a free service, personally I disagree, it was part of the package that I signed up for, it is no excuse to leave customers stranded with an unusable service which many depend on.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@patmartin008

When I said it’s not a default setting, what I sought to suggest is that untouched “none” is tge default, but as soon as you touch column settings, it is no longer unspecified. Even if you switch it back to what it was (sort newest to oldest) it is not the same as unspecified and the problem is encountered.

@bazzer

You are not obliged to use the webmail INTERFACE to the Plusnet email service. You may use any email client on any device you choose. Someone noted that they do not see issues when using an iPhone. That is because any time I get issues (such as those reported here) are dealt with quietly in the background ... and they do not have the issues present in the bought in Round Cube browser based email client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

@Townman I agree with the observations when using an iPhone / iPad. 

I do not experience this issue when I use either, but it's more convenient when at work to use a browser.

Any recommendation on which alternate browser based webmail program to use?

Thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bazzer 

If accessing one's personal email whilst at work on your employer's IT is permitted, then you could try https://mail2web.com

Though if you have your email on your iPhone, why not just use the iPhone?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Noiseboy
Dabbler

I have had issues, sadly for a number of years, and have had all the error messages shown.

I tried to do as suggested, and this did seem to speed things up, but not forever. My original email address was with (and still is) Freenetname, and have sen the transitions to Madasafish to Plusnet.

I guess I am one of many that have these frustrations, and just wish that this could be fixed.

S

bazzer
Pro

Sadly, the lack of response from PN to the posts I have made, says they are neither interested in engaging or in finding a solution. 

They just tell you it's a freebie and let you get on with it yourself.

bazzer
Pro

@Townman wrote:

@bazzer 

If accessing one's personal email whilst at work on your employer's IT is permitted, then you could try https://mail2web.com

Though if you have your email on your iPhone, why not just use the iPhone?

@Townman I have tried mail2web. It appears to work better, but isn't as visually appealing.

Using webmail on a PC is more convenient than having to create and respond to emails via a mobile. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave-m
Hooked

I have implemented the "fix" but webmail is still fairly slow, and email clients still often take ages to establish a connection and download emails from the server.  A proper fix is still needed.

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have to sympathise with everyone on this thread. I experience all the cr*p and utter slowness which occurs. SWBO seems to experience it worse than me (she's on user "meuser+hername"). However I find that Thunderbird is almost instant and never produces these "server" error messages or anything akin. It's just that I like to have the browser on and webmail on a tab for convenience. There really is no excuse that PN cannot sort it - or why don't they use the BT system, it's all the same firm?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thankfully it is not all the same firm.  BT Retail and Plusnet ae not the same firm!!!

Really would not want BT in control of anything - in fact BT control over Plusnet is thought by some to be at the heart of some of the issues around here.

BT limited function email is NOT want what is wanted here.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

There is no point complaining about this rubbish webmail service anymore. I raised the basic 'crappiness'  of the service as a CEO complaint and basically they said there is nothing that can be done as its just an 'add-on' service .  I find this unacceptable and will make a decision to leave them after my contract has matured.  If a company cannot be bothered to serve their customers , then they don't deserve our money.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@FAILSAFE01 We're aware there are currently performance issues with webmail and we are working to get to the bottom of those issues. It's logged as an incident (internal ref IMT-6694) with our incident management team. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Noiseboy
Dabbler

I hope that this can get resolved, it is very frustrating, I tried Squirrel mail today, still have connection issues, took 3 attempts to be able to delete some emails from my inbox, this is almost a daily occurrence.