Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is email broken (again)?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is email broken (again)?

Every night at about midnight, my router sends its log to postmaster@username.plus.com.

Last night this failed with a response (where username is my Plusnet username).

Since the from and to addresses are the same it announced it had returned the address to the sender (successfully)!

A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server 212.159.9.200 responded with: ** postmaster@username.plus.com 550:#5.1.8 Domain of sender address <postmaster@username.plus.com> does not exist This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout08.

Followed by an attachment of what should have been sent.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Personal data in links edited out from a public forum.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

4 REPLIES 4
cuke
Grafter

Re: Is email broken (again)?

It has never been mended...

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The error

550:#5.1.8 Domain of sender address <xxx@username.plus.com> does not exist

is not associated directly with current email problems. Occurrences have been mentioned several times in these forums, though the last mention I'm aware of was some time ago. However this occurred with a message sent to me 10 days ago. As mentioned here the message was returned to the "doesn't exist" address and when the sender tried again a few minutes later it worked.

Whilst the error message refers to a "domain" not existing, that can be a normal situation for those without webspace; what has to exist is an MX record for the domain (ours usually point to mx.avasin.plus.net) and getting the error implies the MX record also wasn't found.

Although the error occurs when sending messages it's the incoming servers which are incorrectly rejecting the messages. Usually these are the Plusnet avasins, but I know of several instances where a valid Plusnet sender was rejected by a non-Plusnet MX.

This is speculation but incorrect authoritative DNS responses would provide common ground.

David
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Actually, I have one of those little freebie web spaces Plusnet used to give away.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That's useful to know.

David