cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get your e-mails through a e-mail client.

bushwood
Grafter

Re: How to get your e-mails through a e-mail client.

Dear LaurenB,

I think that td@....  does not recognize the plus server, either the mail.... or the relay....  The terry@bush... is picking up on Outlook 365.  The webmail functions normally on my computer.

On Dianne's computer does not recognize the relay.... sever.  Her computer functions normally on webmail.  Also I and the Microsoft technicians have been unable to mount IMAP on Dianne's computer.

This has been worked on for several days by stage 3 Microsoft technicians.   That is after plusnet technicians have also worked for several days as you know.

I am now on the border of France and Switzerland where the internet is patchy for the next two weeks.  After that we are going to Ireland via London then back to France for two weeks.  I do not think I will have the time to work with you between now and then. It would be great if Outlook 365 worked but it is a disappointment when it comes to working on plusnet.  Plusnet are woeful where servers are concerned. The web is full of complaints.  I am thinking of moving to gmail.

Kind regards,

Terry

bushwood
Grafter

Hi again,

Today, 07 Feb 19, I thought I would try again to fix td@... and guess what - it worked.  I will now try and fix Dianne's computer.  I will get back if it works.

bushwood

bushwood
Grafter

Hi again,

Just to mention that I am stymied by Dianne's computer.  I have ( numerous times ) entered the same figures in  D's computer as entered in mine and it refuses to work.  (i'm not going to mention the figures, just the same as in mentioned at the beginning of this email.)

I will listen to anyone with any ideas but I am not going to work on it unless I have the time.

Bye for now

bushwood

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I use Thunderbird for mail and have mail from plusnet and yahoo on here and on my android pad  Works O,K at he moment I was told to use IMAP for this  My server settings 

Server Type   IMAP Mail server

Server Name imap.plus.net

User     stathe 

Do I just change imap plus net to relay plus.net

You make it all seem so simple but at 83 years I dont find it so I I think there will be quite a few of us

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @stathe, thanks for getting back to us.

So the incoming server (presuming you're using a plus.net imap server) is imap.plus.net and the outgoing server is relay.plus.net

If you're still using a Force9 server you'd want imap.force9.net as the incoming, with relay.force9.net being the outgoing.

I hope this helps, but if not please let us know.

stathe
Rising Star

So where do I put the ,relay plusnet,   I    have in the box 

Server Type IMAP mail server 

Server Name  imap.plus.net

User  stathe

I am reluctant to just re enter and redo the lot as it took me ages to get the mail working, See previous problems

Where is the box for the outgoing server

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@stathe In Thunderbird, go to Tools > Account settings > Outgoing Server and click on there, it should bring a box up for you to enter the information, as below:

TB1.PNGTB2.PNG

John
stathe
Rising Star

Where are  Tools > Account settings > Outgoing Server  They dont come up when I click server settings

jab1
Legend

@stathe I don't know which version of Thunderbird you are using, but the picture below is where I started from (this is in the top left of TB).TB3.PNG

John
stathe
Rising Star

I now have clicked at top left and the file tools etc have appeared , I should have realised  they were hidden and it looks as if the outgoing is in fact relay plus net so was OK anyway  Thank you 

When I do the same for my yahoo mail not so

Yahoo     smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Google   smtp.gmail,com

What should I do with these as I want it all to work as it does now

jab1
Legend

Sorry, @stathe, can't help on that - although I have Gmail and Yahoo accounts, I have left them as web-mail types, and only use them if PlusNet fail totally.

John
stathe
Rising Star

Mine  are   set to work with Thunderbird so will see what happens when Plusnet make the alterations Thank you

bushwood
Grafter

Hi All,

I have just spent 2 weeks in the alps and my email worked perfectly.  I have just returned to London and the td@....  refuses to work.  I have read all of the info on this at it still does not work. It still will not hold the server I set - mail.plus.net and relay.plus.net.  I anyone has the key to this I will happily try it.

I am going tomorrow to Dublin and we will see what works.  I am returning  to London for a few days and then we will see what works - nothing!

I am going again to France for 2 weeks and then we will see what works there.

Thankfully, webmail still works.

When I return to London after that, I hope I have the time to see what is wrong with it.  I will be switching to gmail I think.

Kind regards,

bushwood

RobertHoward

I am using it as the same.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@bushwood

If it all works fine elsewhere but not in London then there’s (probably) nothing wrong with your computer settings and the issue is with your internet connection.

I say “probably” because you do not say what does not work in London - if it is only sending that fails and you’ve configured SMTP on port 25 then change that to 587 and it might work.

You do not say whose network you are using in London to connect to email: some network providers do not (quite appropriately) allow connection to other network’s SMTP servers on port 25.

Are you connecting via a mobile network dongle?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.