Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails. I recieve mails ok.

FIXED
Ajr2
Hooked

Cannot send emails. I recieve mails ok.

I have a totalise.co.uk madasafish account and cannot send emails. I have checked my account and attempted to update my credit card details but this returns there has been an error try later. I am loath to try changing my password as I have forgotten it and only get logging on as my laptop and iPad remember it automatically. I have tried phoning but there is no selection for email or webmail. 

Help would be appreciated. 

13 REPLIES 13
Ajr2
Hooked

Re: Cannot send emails. I recieve mails ok.

Further to my last post I have spoken to [CSA Removed] at customer services he advised me to change my settings and try that. I then lost all connection t any emails. He then sent an instruction list to my partners email address to enable me to change my password. Sorry but that did not work as it requires a reply from my email address. I phoned again and an operator set a temp password for me. Logging onto Plusnet via the web I was able to see my emails. She then passed me onto technical to help but the line was dropped. 3 tickets have now been raised for my problem. I set up my account on my iPad as suggested on the instructions. mail.totalise.co.uk and my new password. I am back at the stage I can recieve Mail but not send. If I log on via Plusnet I can see mails and send mail but no address book as it is empty. I did activate the bc folder as suggested in an other post but that only had a very few listed. 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi @Ajr2 

A warm welcome to the forums.

The fact that you can now send and received emails using the webmail interface confirms that you know the password and there is nothing wrong with your account.

You do not provide any clear indication of the error which the iPad reports - there are a multitude of reasons why you cannot send, ranging from the SMTP server settings being wrong to connectivity issues.  Also it is not unknown for iOS to totally screw-up email account settings.  Such can be fixed usually by...

1. Reloading the email application (One assumes that you are using the iPad's native email client?)
  2. Deleting and reinstating the email account settings
  3. Rebooting the iPad

Note that the contact address found in Webmail will be only the ones which you put there explicitly.  They are in no way linked to contacts held on your email client.

Double check the SMTP settings...

SMTP server: relay.plus.net

Username: your email address (IIRC for totalise users)

PORT: 587

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Password

Whilst writing the above, I realised that you might not have specified user name and password for the SMTP server (it defaults to optional) however it is required, especially if connecting via a means not on the Plusnet network, as in another WiFi hot spot or over 3/4G.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ajr2
Hooked

Thanks Townman,

as you say I have the correct password and I can recieve emails but not send. I get the message " unable to send mail as user name of password is incorrect". My account was always Madasafish and only failed to send mails recently. I had not changed any of my settings.  The settings on my IPad are as follows.  

Imap account information -  My name

email  -  my email 

Description. -  totalise.co.uk

Incoming - mail server

Host name - Mail.totalise.co.uk

User name - my email

Password - xxxx

Outgoing mail server. 

SMTP - mail.totalise.co.uk

Host name - my email

Username - Password - xxxx

Use SSL. -  yes

Authentification - Password

Server port - 587

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix
Did you update the password in the SMTP settings?

There is another possibility here - your IP address has been black listed. Email programs do not give very clear error messages, but testing via telnet does. I have been of a mind to write a guide to testing SMTP using telnet but I do not have time right now.

Who is your ISP? (This is a legacy email service). Would you know if you are on a dynamic or static IP address? Find out your external IP address, switch the router off for 90 minutes, switch it on again, check the IP address and if it is different try sending again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ajr2
Hooked

Hi Town man,

yes i I have updated my password. I am using Talk Talk broadband and the,y use a dynamic IP address as far as I can see. I will investigate more in the morning. 

Thanks. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In that case you probably have a black balled IP address.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I will post a diagnostic test later this morning.

Ajr2
Hooked

Hi Townman,

I tried sending an email to myself this morning and I had the same fail message.

I following your suggestion I turned of my router for about 20 minutes and then without altering any settings in my iPad account I tried again. Emails sending ok now. 

Thanks for all you help in resolving my problem. 

Regards

Ajr2

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

For anyone experiencing SMTP connectivity issues wishing to diagnose the problem in more detail, here is the diagnostic test guide I promised earlier.  It is not as difficult as it looks daunting!

Test SMTP authentication

Email programs often report username / password error for issues not actually related to those being wrong, but for other connectivity issues. Such can be very frustrating when you are convinced that they are correct. Testing SMTP authentication through a command line interface can deliver a more precise error message. The following describes how to do this using TELNET.

This is not difficult, but you need the following resources which might be unfamiliar...

1. TELNET - this might need installing as an additional option, for Windows see enabling TELNET.
  2. A code64 encoder / decoder such as this.

You can use TELNET to communicate direct with the SMTP server as follows...

Open the code64 encoder in a web browser and leave ready for use in the following steps.

Launch a windows command line window (DOS window) - press windows-key+R - type CMD into the run box - click OK

Enter...

telnet relay.plus.net 587

Press enter. Note if you use one of the other brand email services, use the appropriate SMTP server name for that brand. In response to SMTP server I'm here message, tell it you wish to authenticate...

EHLO relay.plus.net

The SMTP server will then report what it can do after which the server should return the following, which is a base64 encoded string that requires your username:

334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

Use the code64 encoder to encode your username and paste it into the telnet window and press enter. For example:

bXl1c2VybmFtZQ==

The server should return the following, which is a base64 encoded string that requires your password:

334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

Paste the base64 encoded password for the username. For example:

bXlwYXNzd29yZA==

The server will then report success or failure, any failure message should clearly indicate the reason for the failure. If the reason for the failure is not clear, please report back the message.

Close the SMTP / TELNET session by entering

quit

The session should look something similar to the below wherein your input is in bold...

220 avasout03 smtp relay.plus.net
EHLO relay.plus.net
250-avasout03 hello [your IP address], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 OK
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
bXl1c2VybmFtZQ==
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
bXlwYXNzd29yZA==
235 ... authentication succeeded
quit
221 avasout03 smtp closing connection
Connection to host lost.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

For anyone experiencing SMTP connectivity issues wishing to diagnose the problem in more detail, here is the diagnostic test guide I promised earlier.  It is not as difficult as it looks daunting!

Test SMTP authentication (amended version)

Email programs often report username / password error for issues not actually related to those being wrong, but for other connectivity issues. Such can be very frustrating when you are convinced that they are correct. Testing SMTP authentication through a command line interface can deliver a more precise error message. The following describes how to do this using TELNET.

This is not difficult, but you need the following resources which might be unfamiliar...

1. TELNET - this might need installing as an additional option, for Windows see enabling TELNET.
  2. A code64 encoder / decoder such as this.

You can use TELNET to communicate direct with the SMTP server as follows...

Open the code64 encoder in a web browser and leave ready for use in the following steps.

Launch a windows command line window (DOS window) - press windows-key+R - type CMD into the run box - click OK

Enter...

telnet relay.plus.net 587

Press enter. Note if you use one of the other brand email services, use the appropriate SMTP server name for that brand. In response to SMTP server I'm here message, say 'HELLO'...

EHLO relay.plus.net

The SMTP server will then report what it can do after which tell the server you wish to authenticate...

AUTH login

The server should return the following, which is a base64 encoded string that asks for your username:

334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

Use the code64 encoder to encode your username and paste it into the telnet window and press enter. For example:

bXl1c2VybmFtZQ==

The server should return the following, which is a base64 encoded string that asks for your password:

334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

Paste the base64 encoded password for the username. For example:

bXlwYXNzd29yZA==

The server will then report success or failure, any failure message should clearly indicate the reason for the failure. If the reason for the failure is not clear, please report back the message.

Close the SMTP / TELNET session by entering

quit

The session should look something similar to the below wherein your input is in bold...

220 avasout03 smtp relay.plus.net
EHLO relay.plus.net
250-avasout03 hello [your IP address], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 OK
AUTH LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
bXl1c2VybmFtZQ==
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
bXlwYXNzd29yZA==
235 ... authentication succeeded
quit
221 avasout03 smtp closing connection
Connection to host lost.

The following response was given against invalid credentials...

535 ...authentication rejected

pricetag

Hi Townman,

Can you advise how to proceed if the authentication is rejected?

I have been experiencing this problem of being unable to send emails for the last week, whilst I am still able to receive emails. 

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@pricetag 

Hello, a warm welcome to the forums.

This is an edit of my initial response, after I noted that you are a new user on the forum.  Are you by chance also a new Plusnet user?  If yes and your broadband service has not yet been activated then you will not be able to access the SMTP sever (to send email) at all, until after your service switches to Plusnet.  In the meantime you can access the IMAP / POP3 servers for receiving emails.  If that is not the case, then please read on to my initial response.

Authentication rejected ... with what caveat?

535 ...authentication rejected [as username / password is wrong]
535 ...authentication rejected as source IP has a poor reputation

The above are the two most common rejection causes.  If you believe that your password is correct, then I would suspect some other event is involved...

Reset email password

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail, then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has had its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the Plusnet account password is left unchanged.

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

pricetag

Hi Townman,

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for the delay getting back to you, but here is more information:

I am able to access webmail, so I can send and receive on the default email address and the secondary email accounts.

I have been using force9 for email for the last 3 years, having moved ISP from force9 to BT, apart from the odd blip, service has been uninterrupted during this time. 

The following responses have been shown when running the diagnostics that you have provided:

With default email account: 535 authentication rejected (no reason specified).

With secondary email username/password: 535 Too many SMTP authentication failures. Please try again later.

I am convinced passwords used are correct, these have been changed recently. I have tried both i/I/1 to double check I haven't misinterpreted the base64 encoding. 

Thanks for your help with this issue.