Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast VPN

FIXED
busylizzie
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Avast VPN

I enabled the Avast free VPN this morning. Everything seemed to be okay then I realised I couldn't send email using the Pegasus POP client. Receving email was fine. I disabled the VPN and the mail client started working again. So how can I send email whilst having the VPN enabled?

Is it a question of changing settings, or is it likely to be beyond tech limits?

P.s. the message I was getting when sending the email was "Socket read error 10053"

Any help gratefully accepted.

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Avast VPN

@busylizzie I haven't checked that error code, but I suspect that as the VPN will be presenting a non-PN IP address, to the server, you are being identified as a non-PN user.

Maybe try authenticating your connection, although I don't know if that will work.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@busylizzie  @jab1 has it spot on there, with the VPN active you will be sending from a non Plusnet IP address. You will need to set authentication on the outgoing server (SMTP) settings. Use the same username & password that you use for the incoming server. Having set authentication, it should work both with and without the VPN active

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

busylizzie
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Fix

Thank you both. Changed the settings, enabled the VPN and everything appears to work. And quick responses too!