Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email and domain name hosting

FIXED
Nickelarse
Dabbler

Email and domain name hosting

Hi, 

After many years, I am about to leave Plusnet and move to Utility warehouse. They currently offer a fixed energy tariff but to take advantage I need to transfer my broadband and mobile to them. I have been very happy with PN and will return.

My query is that I paid PN to host my domain till next year and they also host my email. So will this continue to work Ok or do I need to do something to ensure it does? I believe that it will continue to work as the broadband access has nothing to do with my email delivery which should continue to be delivered to PN's servers. Please can someone in the know confirm this is the case?  I had heard that PN were considering to discontinue hosting email but this maybe just a rumour.

Cheers

Nick

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Email and domain name hosting

@Nickelarse If you leave PN, you will definitely  lose your email address(es) - they no longer offer an 'email only' account, and if I have read recent posts on this topic correctly, you will also lose the domain hosting.

Your email account is 'tied into' your broadband account, as  it is in the form of xxx@youraccountname', and that account will no longer function on transfer.

John
Nickelarse
Dabbler

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, I do have my own domain, (nickbrotherton.co.uk ) and my email address is not a Plusnet one.

Doesnt that make a difference as I paid PN the annual domain hosting fee?  I did this to avoid ever having to change my email address. 

Regards

Nick

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"After many years, I am about to leave Plusnet and move to Utility warehouse. They currently offer a fixed energy tariff but to take advantage I need to transfer my broadband and mobile to them. I have been very happy with PN and will return."

Trying to disentangle energy supply/costs from phone and internet isn't an easy thing. I inherited a UW setup,. It was OK for about 12 months. My personal opinion is that UW keep a %age of their customer base as a direct consequence on the work required to move away from them.

Just my tuppence worth. I'd never touch UW again. The 'w' has previously attracted an alternate interpretation to 'warehouse'.

(I'm sure you'll enjoy UW's billing structure as much as I have in the past).

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Fix

@Nickelarse wrote:

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, I do have my own domain, (nickbrotherton.co.uk ) and my email address is not a Plusnet one.

Doesnt that make a difference as I paid PN the annual domain hosting fee?  I did this to avoid ever having to change my email address. 

Regards

Nick

Sorry, @Nickelarse -missed this post this morning. So you are using the .co.uk domain for mail? In that case, AIUI, you will need to get your domain hosted elsewhere, and ensure the new host supplies a mail hosting facility.

What you do about the unused potion of your domain hosting fee I don't honestly know, but at a guess, I'd say you'll lose it.

John
Nickelarse
Dabbler

Im now in a new situation, a black hole so to speak which does nothing to encourage me to return to PN next year as I had intended. However if anyone can help please?  My email hasnt worked for over a week. I have asked to transfer out my domain which is "nickbrotherton.co.uk" to Godaddy. They are watiing to host it but as the order regarding the IPS tag doesnt seem to have progressed in 2 weeks, I havent been able to send or receive email. First it was just stopping me from receiving email, now its failing both ways.

PN have managed to stop me using email despite my request only to move the domain and cease my broadband, but they have left it so that no one else can take over my domain. Great job PN! 

I have spoken to a techy this morning who promised to call me back but hasnt. He could not even find my domain on the system. Its still showing on "who is " as being with Plusnet on a "Force 9" server, I think this was an old one from 2008 when I first registered my domain. 

Any ideas anyone?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Broadband to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Nick, 

I'm really sorry to see what's happened. From what I can see we originally hadn't processed the domain transfer in the right way, so your domain was transferred out of our domain control system, but it wasn't actioned with Nominet.

This meant we were in effect still hanging on to the domain, but it wasn't configured in our systems to send/receive mail, so I've arranged for feedback to be passed on to that adviser as the request should've been raised to our NetOps team. 

The adviser you spoke with yesterday morning has got the ball rolling and raised a NetOps task to transfer your domain to GoDaddy and you were emailed to your temporary email address actually before you posted. If you can't find the email, you can find a copy logged HereApologies that it doesn't look like anyone rang you back. 

The task should be picked up within 24 to 48 hours. Also, one of my colleagues in our high level escalations / complaints team will be managing your complaint moving forward and they'll pick up the ticket logged Here shortly.

As an observation, we haven't done anything to stop another provider from taking over your domain, although domain transfers don't quite work in that way as we would need to initiate the transfer with Nominet from our side. I believe that you can go direct to Nominet, but they may ask you for a small fee (which I appreciate you shouldn't have to pay).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Nickelarse
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, seems to have been moved but Im now lost as to what I need to do to get my email working properly with Godaddy. Am I right in saying that the name servers (Force9 NS1 and 2) can remain with Plusnet?

If so will I need to change anything to send email to the right place? I have been given a load of info from godaddy about Txt and Cname records but do I need this and if so where do I go to add the info? 

Thanks in advance.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

While I could try to fix our domain control system so you can send/receive mail via our hosting/nameservers, this wouldn't be a service we offer once your broadband has moved away and account's cancelled.

So as we've moved the IPSTAG to GoDaddy, I'd recommend changing the nameservers from Force9/Plusnet to GoDaddy via their interface. You should then be able to add the TXT and CNAME records from their side as well. 

Let me know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@Nickelarse you need an email hosting service to host your domain. You then either set the required dns records using the godaddy dns interface or change the dns servers to those of the email hosting in which case the dns records should be automatically setup

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.