Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow loading Community

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Slow loading Community

Is anyone else noticing that Community is horrendously slow to load? I find just clicking on a sub-forum takes 4 or 5 seconds to register, and the actual loading another 4/5 seconds, while numerous activities occur in the bottom L/H of the window.

It is definitely not my browser (FF56.0.2), as other sites, including those with a heavy 'ad' load, load and are responsive much more rapidly.

Any explanation, @jaread83?

Just checked 3 more Lithium powered forums (BT,TT & Virgin) and they didn't exhibit the same behaviour - all loaded instantly.Huh

John
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slow loading Community

Don't get me started on this forum being slow !.  Ticked_off

@jaread83 has done NOTHING in 19 months to make this any better since I first reported it.  Crazy3

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Why-is-the-new-forum-so-slow-to-load/td-p/1323...

Mav
Fixes: 515

Not had any problems using my smartphone or tablet today. This is from a Sky connection as I am not at home.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I varies for me sometimes its snappy some its slow

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just now this site went very slow, but I didn't notice the exact time the page started loading slowly, so all I know was that it took many tens of seconds.  It was getting so bad that I've just timed it.

First checked that no other devices are using my connection.

Reduced browser tabs down to just the one.

Typed https://community.plus.net/  into browser URL box

Waited for desktop clock to reach zero seconds, and hit <Return>

Then waited NINETY NINE seconds for the page to painfully load each little bit, until it completed.

How the hell can it take 99 seconds to load a single page ?

I've been online all morning, and no other website is even the slightest bit laggy or slow to load.

Yet again it is just Plusnet that has unacceptable web page loading times.  Knuppel

I even restarted my browser, but got similar results when I repeated the test for the third time !

Also once the page has loaded, clicking on anything fails, and requires multiple clicks.

Go to any other website, and there is no problem.

I give up,  I'm not going to waste my time while this community is SOOO SLOOOOWWWW !

Sorry for the format of this post, but it is difficult to know whether keys have been pressed or not - ITS THAT SLOW !

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Definitely slow for me this morning. Took 5 attempts to open just got the message 'trying to connect to Plusnet'.

I entered it into Down for Everyone to check as I thought the site was down.

jab1
Legend

Not totally solved this problem yet - which I think is down to the fact that EVERY time you refresh/load, it has to fetch all the data from Lithium - but.

Totally unrelated, I installed uBlock Origin to zap ads on a couple of sites which have swapped to HTTPS, therefore rendering my AdMuncher totally useless, with the unintended result of stopping googletagmanager & omtrdc, and I no longer have to wait three/four seconds when the page has 'apparently' loaded until  I can do anything.

I would still like to know why Community appears to take longer to fully load - as I have said previously, other Lithium-based sites don't seem to have this problem.

John
happybunny
Grafter

The forum site has been quite slow for many months, but recently has become much worse for me using a Plusnet connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 wrote:

Any explanation, @jaread83?

Just checked 3 more Lithium powered forums (BT,TT & Virgin) and they didn't exhibit the same behaviour - all loaded instantly.Huh

Why have we had to put up with this dreadful performance for 19 months ?

It is ONLY the Plusnet forum that suffers, so it can't be a generic Lithium problem,

so what does that leave ? - inefficient code and inadequate testing Crazy3

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult removed as per Forum rules.

jab1
Legend

@Anonymous - see message #9 - not an 'official' solution, but it worked for me.Smiley

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I am not sure whats causing the slow down as each page takes less than 5 seconds to load, even with a clear cache. Have been testing with my home connection too but no difference.

I will raise a support case with Lithium, maybe they can take a look at the server logs.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Jack,

I am finding client side rendering painfully slow.  I can see the page clearly build in at least 3 stages, particularly when replying to a topic.  Of particular note I this area is the final build and enablement of the GUI.  Before now I have clicked into the text box (as I have macros enabled the focus is always in the wrong place) have started typing, only to find that the page initialisation has not completed and the focus is on the macro button.

Final focus is not the point of this post, rather to comment on the slow lumpy rendering ... in the hoe it might 'signpost' an issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

There are a few requests that appear on every page but they shouldn't impact too greatly on performance. They are quite simple requests to get a users post, thanks and fix count, your private message and notification count, checks for the age of the topic (to show a warning) that doesn't execute anything more if within the date... the rest is all standard lithium code.

As well as raising a lithium support case, I will take a bit of time to look into caching on the platform to see if I can get things to speed up a bit.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.