cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Lithium ever going to fix the unread posts bug?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Are Lithium ever going to fix the unread posts bug?

Silly question, but when I log in - say for example today. It says I have not read 5 posts. That's fine, but when I read one it clears the flag for all 5, and somehow, for some unknown reason I've managed to read the other 4. Doesn't just clear the unread flag for the post I have actually read and not the other ones.

It's right annoying and come back phpBB2 and SMF, all is forgiven.

32 REPLIES 32
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Are Lithium ever going to fix the unread posts bug?

There are various anomolies and quirks with Lithium, but your example is one of the best (worst?) -

on a par with submitting a post, only to then find that a previous reply makes yours irrelevant or look dumb.

To answer your thread title - highly unlikely! 

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Alex Lithium won't, but if you wait long enough, Khorus might.😃

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Get the same issue only way I know how to sort it is to mark all community posts as read.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't know if I have that problem or not as that is not how I read the forums. I view unread, scroll down the list and each one I want to read, I open in a new tab. Once I have trawled the forum, I mark all as read.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks all for your help, it was the response I expected.

Test and QA must have taken some very long lunches when these forums were put onto the test platform.

I just have to accept some people feel asleep during that time and have to accept it. I suppose I could go ye olde fashion route of copying and pasting links into Notepad. Seems a bit silly in this day and age, but there you go.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm sick of having up to 4 'unread' topics stuck at the top of my unread list even though I've read them multiple times. Angry

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran

Intersting @Strat 

I have the opposite problem to you - as in posts I haven't read are marked as read. Where posts you have read are not being marked?

I wonder if it is a mod vs. standard user permissions problem? Hmm...

I am probably barking up the wrong tree there.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Strat Yes, I get that on the boards quite often - I just mark 'all posts read', but it's a faff having to manually clear them.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Alex maybe we could trade posts Lips_are_sealed

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran

Well I am happy to help where I can (including test platform) - just strange I seem to be getting different problems to what others are reporting.

Sorry I work in Computer Science - so that part of my brain is kicking in! 😊

Maybe my Mac Mini is playing up, so I'll try a different computer.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Strat wrote:

I'm sick of having up to 4 'unread' topics stuck at the top of my unread list even though I've read them multiple times. Angry

Given up on this!  The SU's have reported this at least twice - and had it "Fixed" - but it keeps returning.

I don't believe new versions of the software are QA'd on the Plusnet testbed these daysEmbarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Or it might mean that the 'fix' was applied on the Plusnet side and updates from Khorus overwrite them. If this is the case then does it mean that this issue is only applicable to the Plusnet distribution? If not then it looks like the 'fix' hasn't been committed to the release branch at Khorus HQ.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Mook wrote:

Or it might mean that the 'fix' was applied on the Plusnet side and updates from Khorus overwrite them.

The 'fixes' were during @jaread83  time in control of the forum and the Plusnet customization - so Khorus (Nee Lithium) initiated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

If you are saying that these fixes were made by @jaread83, does this not mean that these fixes haven't been applied upstream. If they had been then the issue wouldn't reappear after Khorus apply their updates.

This then leads to what I said earlier. If they've not been applied upstream then the implication is that it may only be Plusnet that has this issue. Or Khorus were never notified of it or they can't be bothered to apply them for fear of breaking the code base.